• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shotshell Reloading Questions

dlciman

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
0   0
Reaction score
Fellow ODT'ers I am not a shotshell reloader but I have saved all the hulls from our 4H practices. I have several thousand each of 12 and 20 gauge hulls but they are mixed brands. I have Federal, Rio, Winchester, etc. as well as the boxes they came in. I was entertaining the thought of selling them and put the money back into the 4H program. I really wanted to reload them for our use but 4H will not allow us to do that for liability reasons. Do different manufacturers use different wads? Is it even worth saving the off-brand hulls? I know some of the cowboy action shooters reload their own shotshells and may be intereted in them. Any help is appreciated as i have very little knowledge/experience with shotshell reloading.

Just about anything Remington makes can be reloaded, most Federal and Winchesters can be, The Remington STS, Supersports, AND the gold Nitro 27 hulls are the best, Winchester AA hulls are another good one, But most can be loaded if you can find the data, ,, most all shells have a different kinda of wad in them, depends on the shot weight, buy a good reloader and get busy with all those hulls

Unfortunately, mostly because lead shot has become so pricey, reloading basic/entry level target-type shot shells is wasted time, and sometimes wasted money.

Assuming you buy non-premium components in bulk (1000 wads, 8lbs powder, 5000 primers, etc.):

Wad: 2 cents
Powder: 5 cents
Lead: 12 cents (assuming 1 1/8oz load)
Primer: 2 cents
Time and equipment: Not factored in

Cost per reloaded shell: .21
Cost per reloaded box: $5.25

Academy Sports sometimes has Estate and Rio shells on sale for $5/box, regularly $5.50 a box. For entry level, 12 or 20ga shotgun plinking, reloading doesn't make economic sense.

For 10, 28 or 410ga, or loading for specific guns or purposes (e.g., emulating premium shells), it may work fiscally, but the components will also be more expensive and the savings still aren't huge.

The only time I load shot shells anymore is when I want a soft-kicking load for new clays shooters.

Back
Top Bottom