• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Short barrel suppressed 9mm AR hammer not resetting consistently after firing

The hammer has to have the appropriate curve radius or it will not function with a ramped bolt correctly. The DPMS style hammer is typically good to go a notched hammer (Rock River) or specialty hammer will often cause you problems.

You can use a 9mm AR hammer with an unramped bolt and forgo the issue but then it would be dedicated to 9mm and you couldn't swap .223/5.56 uppers without changing the hammer.

I'll try to post picks later but your issue is the hammer and I'll bet money on it.

sounds pretty legitimate to me sir.. Here's some pics of the Geissele trigger in the gun, spare hammer assembly that came in the lower and DDLES bolt carrier. Let me know if the spare hammer is like what you've mentioned... Thanks for your input :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    463.5 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    463 KB · Views: 64
I've been chasing this type of issue as well. I think these guys are pointing you in the correct direction with the hammer.
On mine, the issue was the buffer. I started with a CMMG dedicated 9mm lower/carbine upper, which came with the standard carbine length buffer in 5.6oz. Then picked up a Heavy Buffers 8.5oz (longer than carbine norm). While I was at it, I found a cheaper Spikes 9mm buffer to run in my other 9mm AR 7" pistol which is 7.??oz (also longer).

So I guess what I'm saying here is that if you change the hammer and still suspect the buffer, PM me, I have a couple different options I could let you trial for problem-determination.

That's some awesome looking machinery you gentlemen have and I'm sure more than a few sweaty teeth occurred on followers of this thread.

Good luck on trying different buffers/springs as I know you really want to retain that fine trigger you have currently but I feel it will not correct your issue. You have to understand the process of the bolt traveling to the rear and cocking the weapon. Subtle changes in the contact points of the hammer and your bolt (ramp) will affect it's function.

Your Geissele hammer is missing a huge amount of meat that contacts the bolt (ramped) surface:

i50.tinypic.com_23k4tvr.jpg

The DPMS has a full arched curve without any notches cut within it. It works well with a ramped bolt:

i48.tinypic.com_2z5895x.jpg

This is a notched Rock River hammer and will not work with a ramped 9mm bolt as it renders it a single shot with only the tiny smidge of metal removed at the hammer tip.

i49.tinypic.com_nobiph.jpg

Give us a range report and if the buffer/spring switch corrected it please give the details.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom