• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Senator Saxby Chambliss UN arms treaty reply

JDG.

Default rank 5000+ posts
Silent Professional
165   0
Reaction score
Hey just got this in. Remember to email you congressman and let them know how you feel

Dear Mr. xxxx:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the United Nations Small Arms Treaty and S. 2205, the "Second Amendment Sovereignty Act of 2012." Your taking the time to contact me is appreciated.

On December 6, 2006, the United Nations General Assembly adopted Resolution 89, which was developed as a new international treaty for the global trade in conventional arms. The resolution, "towards an arms trade treaty; establishing common international standards for the import, export and transfer of conventional arms," was adopted without the support of the United States under the Bush Administration; however, the Obama Administration recently reversed this decision, and announced that the United States would support negotiations on the condition they were, "under the rule of consensus decision-making needed to ensure that all countries can be held to standards that will actually improve the global situation."

In response to this threat to Second Amendment rights, S. 2205, of which I am a cosponsor, was introduced on March 19, 2012, and referred to the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations. If enacted, S. 2205 would prohibit the Administration from using the "voice, vote, and influence" of the United States during negotiations that could restrict the Second Amendment rights of U.S. citizens by prohibiting funds from being obligated or expended. Should S. 2205 or other legislation concerning the UN Small Arms Treaty come before the full Senate, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

If you would like to receive timely email alerts regarding the latest congressional actions and my weekly e-newsletter, please sign up via my web site at: www.chambliss.senate.gov . Please let me know whenever I may be of assistance.

That's not how I read it

So looks like he's gotta go along with his pres.. Thanks for posting this.
The bill he is referring to is the

112th CONGRESS
2d Session

S. 2205
To prohibit funding to negotiate a United Nations Arms Trade Treaty that restricts the Second Amendment rights of United States citizens.

Since this was posted, thought I'd add Sen Isakson's response as well.

Thank you for contacting me regarding the United Nations Small Arms Treaty. I appreciate your thoughts and the opportunity to respond.

As you are aware, the Obama administration and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton support the drafting of a U.N. Small Arms Treaty that is designed to curb hostilities in areas of the world experiencing political instability. Supporters of this treaty believe that an international effort to reduce small arms will help achieve this goal. Under former President George W. Bush's administration, the United States was the only nation to oppose a 2006 resolution to create an international treaty on the sale of small arms and light weapons. In 2011, I joined 44 of my Senate colleagues in sending a letter to President Obama and Secretary Clinton stating my opposition to this treaty since I believe it violates our Second Amendment rights. Additionally, I am a cosponsor of S.2205, the Second Amendment Sovereignty Act of 2012, which states U.S. sovereignty and the constitutionally protected freedoms of American gun owners must be upheld and cannot be undermined by the U.N. Small Arms Trade Treaty. The bill prohibits U.S. funds from being obligated or expended in attempts to use the voice, vote, and influence of the United States in negotiations for the U.N. Small Arms Treaty to restrict the Second Amendment rights of U.S. citizens in any way.

While I believe it is important to reduce the availability of small arms to terrorist organizations and groups that undermine regional political instability, I would never support any international agreement that would undermine the Second Amendment rights of American citizens in any way. If the Senate considers ratification of a U.N. Small Arms Treaty, I will seek to address these concerns. In the meantime, as a member of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, I will continue to explore ways to reduce international violence without making the United States party to any agreement that would undermine our own Constitution.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please visit my webpage at http://isakson.senate.gov/ for more information on the issues important to you and to sign up for my e-newsletter.

Sincerely,
Johnny Isakson
United States Senator

I think that's about the best ANY of them can do.

That about sums it mdog!

If there is still someone who has not e-mailed our senators then get off your ass now and do so. Here is the link fill out the form and state your business. I put it in the trade section even though it's about guns. The biggest concern for me is the resemblance to the INTERSTATE COMMERCE CLAUSE.

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm?State=GA

Think that it can't happen, comes up every year, won't happen; yeah just keep warm with those thoughts. The drinking public did not think that prohibition of the 1920 s would happen either and I didn't think the Federal Assault Weapons Ban (AWB) (or Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act) a subtitle of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 was going to happen either.

If it did not sunset we would still be breaking our fingers trying to get that 10th round in.

For those with the "what me worry" attitude read a bit about the commerce clause: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commerce_Clause

Pay particular attention to how the commerce clause is used to mandate fedral law on gun control as "gun free zones" in schools. Commerce and gun control? Just keep sleeping and maybe it will all just go away.

Commerce and trade aren't related now are they?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom