• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

School me on Ruger 10/22 barrels

spistols

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
310   0
Reaction score
As a newbie to the 10/22 market, I'm a bit perplexed with regards to why people are spending just under half the price of a 10/22, give or take, on a barrel. What am I missing other than the barrel that's threaded versus one that's not threaded? Is it different twists or one's a bull barrel and another one's not, etc.?

All of what you mentioned.

Some like the aesthetics of a new barrel and the look.

I have had excellent results with just re crowning and checking the chamber on my factory barrels. Incredible the difference in accuracy after doing that to the factory barrels for around $50. I have not done any in the last 5 years, my 6 or 7 10/22's mostly hang on the wall since the S&W 15-22's came out.

I did own a 10/22 Magnum with 5 or so added barrels, Green Mountain, Volquartsen, Clark, etc. These were in 22 mag and in 17 HMR. I did have the factory barrel re crowned and the only better shooter was the Green Mountain fluted bull barrel.

It can be twist rates, but most are 1/16. You are getting better cut chambers, tighter chambers, better tolerances, better machining (especially in the rifling), options on length and weight profiles. It's the the easiest and fastest way to get tighter groups on a 10/22. Close second is upgraded bolt.

The 10/22 is a great design. Reluger just doesn't execute it particularly well to keep costs low and thus keep the price low.

IME, Kidd knows and does the 10/22 best in all aspects. Feddersen makes some great barrels. Green Mountain makes a decent barrel. VQ is hit and miss at best.

Most of the time bull barrels are about accuracy and that's not often a cheap thing. You're primarily paying for a different chamber and consistency. Sometimes you're paying for weight...or lack of it. It just depends on what your goal is. The right barrel combined with the right bolt can set you on a path to a one hole gun. Or, it can lighten your gun up and make it more enjoyable to plink/hunt with. Sometimes they just look cool. The beauty of the 10/22 is you could have a ton of them and have them all set up different. Welcome to the 10/22 world, you can have a lot of fun in it.

The genius of the 10/22 design is the barrel attachment. So easy, anyone can do it. Hence, the healthy aftermarket.

Think about what you want to do with the gun before you pick a barrel. If all you want is to bench shoot it, pick a heavy barrel, threaded if needed, along with a stock that is suitable for bench shooting. If you think you might walk with it for small game, hikes, etc., I'd recommend an aluminum shrouded barrel from and a Hogue overmolded stock. Or, as previously suggested, accurize the factory barrel.

And if you like to tinker, do the trigger yourself. Some washers, stones, fine sandpaper and patience, you can produce a trigger far superior to anything off the shelf. Polishing the bolt is worthwhile. The only stock parts I recommend replacing in the action are the guide rod and the extractor.

Back
Top Bottom