• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

School me on bullet proof vests

Get one with hard plates. Soft armor is only good for limited stopping power. A good ar500 plate will stop rifle rounds. It really depends on the set up you plan to run too. When I was in LE I was issued an outer carrier and inner carrier with soft armor and smaller trauma plates that were still only good for stopping handgun rounds. I did keep a personal carrier that had plates with me though.
AR500 are steel, heavy, and cause hella spalling all into your face and/or extremities. Ceramic is almost always the best option.

One of my bosses said if there is a gun on your hip. There should be a vest on your chest. They are heavy, HOT! and how many times in your life have you REALLY NEEDED TO USE YOUR GUN? Well vests are nice BUT...Even the best vests only stop handgun rounds. That's why there are plate carriers. Put a 9mm handgun round through a 16 inch barrel, and it'll pick up enough velocity to penetrate a magnum rated vest.

Wearing a vest. A 38 special round will cause a salad bowl deformation of the chest. As opposed to a bullet wound. You will still have broken ribs and massive bruising...

I still have my vest in the closet. Haven't looked at it in 15 years
That’s because you worked in the south not in Los Gale like I did, just sayin

That’s because you worked in the south not in Los Gale like I did, just sayin
Try working the strip mall @ Long Beach Blvd & Pacific Coast Hwy in Long Beach CA by yourself on the days when food stamps were issued.

Felonies happened daily and the Police wouldn't enter the property without back-up.

One Ranger, one riot. Just sayin. There are those who can and those who wouldn't dare.

AR500 are steel, heavy, and cause hella spalling all into your face and/or extremities. Ceramic is almost always the best option.
that they are. They're also more commonly bought by average joe than a ceramic plate. Although really and truly most people who go buy vests and plate carriers wear them improperly anyways...

The anti spall coat makes the difference. Yes they are heavy but I don't plan on wearing it for an extended period of time and hope there's never a time that I feel the need to. I keep it laying right next to my bed so if ever I hear a bump in the night I could throw it on quickly. It's nice knowing I have something that's good for rifle rounds getting the 3+.

Good ceramic armor will take multiple hits. Hesco level IV plates are rated for several hits with armor piercing ammo. In tests they handled even more hits than they were rated for.
IE 4 hits with AP 30-06, not 1.
View attachment 2680065
I would have probably got ceramic but got a killer deal on the AR500. Next purchase will be ceramic due to weight. I’m happy with the 500 though.

Back
Top Bottom