• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

SBR Question

So we came to a conclusion that is a complete lower has a rifle tube, its a rifle. If it has no rifle tube and has pistol tube, its a pistol. So there are receivers that are pistols...

Negative ..... a receiver is a receiver, nothing more nothing less. Now if that receiver is built up with a stock then it is transferred as a rifle. If the receiver is built with a pistol buffer then it is a pistol, and NOT just a receiver. But a STRIPPED receiver is just that a receiver and transferred as OTHER. If it is BUILT in a pistol configuration then it is transferred as a pistol. If it is a VIRGIN receiver then it is an OTHER.
agreed. And there are no other options on it.

Negative ..... a receiver is a receiver, nothing more nothing less. Now if that receiver is built up with a stock then it is transferred as a rifle. If the receiver is built with a pistol buffer then it is a pistol, and NOT just a receiver. But a STRIPPED receiver is just that a receiver and transferred as OTHER. If it is BUILT in a pistol configuration then it is transferred as a pistol. If it is a VIRGIN receiver then it is an OTHER.

Thats what I'm saying! I was referring to the comment you said theres no such thing as pistol lowers... -_-'''

There is no such an animal as a pistol receiver. A lower is a lower is a lower is a lower.

Okay I get what you meant now. You know what? Alot of people call lowers receivers and some call the upper a receiver. Honestly, it can get confusing if you think differently than another person. So thats why I thought you were referring to the receiver as the lower. Misunderstanding, that is all! Yes under your terms, theres no such things as pistol receiver (upper).

Last edited:
There is no such a thing as a stripped pistol lower, no matter how it is marked. If it is stripped and transferred on a 4473 it is simply marked as other. If the lower is built out as a pistol then it can be transferred as a pistol. But a stripped lower receiver is not a rifle or a pistol, it is other.

Quick correction. A pistiol buffer tube does not make it a piston. You can also use a carbine tube with no stock and it will be a pistol. I'd recommend wrapping it in 550 cord though

Quick correction. A pistiol buffer tube does not make it a piston. You can also use a carbine tube with no stock and it will be a pistol. I'd recommend wrapping it in 550 cord though

There is soooo much mud on this topic.. Do you have any documentation to support this??? I'm not doubting, just in the process of building a pistol to later become an SBR and want doccumentation before commitiing myself..

That's a lot of conditions to meet, on an 8 year old letter, from a former ATF guy who I don't believe is the chief now, and its a letter written to someone else. Its up to you, but if it were me, there's no way I would ever put a carbine tube on a pistol. He also says you should obtain a letter from the manufacturer saying it was never a rifle....

Back
Top Bottom