• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

SBR question

He can just pay the tax stamp and put a new upper on his existing AR. No need to buy another lower.

Yes but he has to wait until that Form 1 gets approved. If you built a pistol you can have your complete "SBR", then file your Form 1. Meanwhile you can shoot it. He can't do that now. He has to wait for the Form 1 to come back.

As he has the bits, he can morph back into a pistol and cross state lines without ATF approval.

I do not think this is correct. Once you register a lower as an SBR it becomes an SBR, putting a brace on an SBR doesnt make it a pistol. You would need to file a Form 20 to travel over state lines. Now if you slapped a 16" upper on the SBR lower it is still an SBR lower but its in rifle configuration, at that point I dont think you need to file the 5320.20

Yes but he has to wait until that Form 1 gets approved. If you built a pistol you can have your complete "SBR", then file your Form 1. Meanwhile you can shoot it. He can't do that now. He has to wait for the Form 1 to come back.

I'm just saying that's an extra expense. He may not want a pistol brace on his SBR. Since he already has a rifle, it makes more sense to just file the tax stamp and wait to buy the upper.

I do not think this is correct. Once you register a lower as an SBR it becomes an SBR, putting a brace on an SBR doesnt make it a pistol. You would need to file a Form 20 to travel over state lines. Now if you slapped a 16" upper on the SBR lower it is still an SBR lower but its in rifle configuration, at that point I dont think you need to file the 5320.20
ok at $40 for a registered lower you can have a legal pistol, all the more reason to have an extra legal pistol lower. More options

So if any of you are still following, should I do a trust to put the paperwork in? Or should I just do it to myself? Pros and cons of each please.

trust adds a few more steps but the ability to add and remove people is just way better in my opinion, and gives you back a little more freedom over your lifetime purchases, go talk to Dean Phillips NFA Lawyers for a well setup trust and special amendment to weed through the the bs

trust adds a few more steps but the ability to add and remove people is just way better in my opinion, and gives you back a little more freedom over your lifetime purchases, go talk to Nate Phillips NFA Lawyers for a well setup trust and special amendment to weed through the the bs

Phillips Law Firm Marietta, GA. Look up NFA Lawyers ga.

Back
Top Bottom