• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SBR question

An AR born a pistol can become a rifle and go back without jeopardy.

If he wants to wait 6 or 7 months to turn his Rifle into an SBR, go ahead.

If he buys a new Lower he can go pistol right now and rock and roll right now, till the stamp comes through while the ATF takes its time. As he has the bits, he can morph back into a pistol and cross state lines without ATF approval.

Besides that who needs just one AR? It gives you way more options.
Mine was just approved in 21 days.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I do not think this is correct. Once you register a lower as an SBR it becomes an SBR, putting a brace on an SBR doesnt make it a pistol. You would need to file a Form 20 to travel over state lines. Now if you slapped a 16" upper on the SBR lower it is still an SBR lower but its in rifle configuration, at that point I dont think you need to file the 5320.20

Incorrect. The moment the SBR lower is no longer configured as an SBR it becomes a non NFA weapon. Making it a pistol is legal (so long as it started as a pistol) and legally can cross state lines without a 5320.

That said, lowers are so cheap I would rather have a dedicated pistol lower than change a stock to a brace on one of my SBRs.

Personally I don't bother with the trust anymore, it was convenient until the law changed. The trust costs money to setup, adds time to stamp approval, requires pics and prints on all responsible persons on every filing, and uploading can be tricky on the finicky eforms website.

I must have missed something. I have a trust. What was the recent rule change mentioned above?

Back in the day, a Trust sidestepped the need for fingerprints and passport pics and something to do with local LEO permission/notification, I cant remember for sure. But that changed up so now everyone, Trust or not, has to submit the prints and pics.

Back
Top Bottom