• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Savage 17 HMR and SilencerCo Sparrow

js415

Default rank <2000 posts Lifetime Supporter
GeorgiaCarry.org
226   0
Reaction score
I posted this in another section, but thought maybe it would be better off here::

I recently sent my SilencerCo Sparrow back to the factory for the Stainless Steel baffle upgrade.

One of the benefits of the upgrade is the ability to use my .22LR suppressor for 17 HMR.

Of course, that meant I had to have a 17 HMR rifle. In my never ending search, I could not find a model with a threaded barrel, so I decided to buy a model I liked, and send it off to be threaded.

I found a Savage bull barrel with a really nice thumb-hole stock that I liked, so I grabbed it up.

I sent the barrel to ADCO firearms for the work. Had the barrel cut down to 18", threaded for my suppressor, and a thread protector made from the original barrel.

Added a Sweet 17 scope, looking for a nice bi-pod, and I think I will be all ready to go.

Enjoy the pictures.

Jerry
js415.smugmug.com_Other_Savage_17_HMR_i_KDJ35hk_0_M_Savage_17_HMR_001_M.jpg

js415.smugmug.com_Other_Savage_17_HMR_i_FqgTHx5_0_M_Savage_17_HMR_002_M.jpg

js415.smugmug.com_Other_Savage_17_HMR_i_M8Bz7D3_0_M_Savage_17_HMR_003_M.jpg

js415.smugmug.com_Other_Savage_17_HMR_i_QTGQzHr_0_M_Savage_17_HMR_005_M.jpg

js415.smugmug.com_Other_Savage_17_HMR_i_wjQDdbQ_0_M_Savage_17_HMR_006_M.jpg

I do not have a really good sound meter, but based on some on-line test reports from SilencerCo, and using my very "untrained" ears, I have the values for the suppressor I am using below:

Using a CZ452 bolt action 22LR and a Savage bolt action 17 HMR, it appears the sound values come out as follows:

22LR Unsuppressed......~140dB
22lr Suppressed..........~114dB

17 HMR Unsuppressed..~154dB
17 HMR Suppressed.....~126dB

So it looks like my Sparrow is dropping the sound levels, on both calibers, by about 26-28dB, depending on caliber.

Again, I could not test exactly, but this gives a pretty good reference point to see if you think it is worth the cost of a suppressor.

Every drop in 10dB is equivalent to cutting the sound in half, so I am cutting the sound in half at least 2 to 2 1/2 times.

Because of the velocity of the 17 HMR, I do not get nearly the drop in sound level. I am currently shooting CCI FMJ, 20 grain ammo which is rated at 2375fps.

Jerry

Very nice, I love the Savage rimfires. I started with a FV-SR, the plastic stock was ****. I don't have a .22 can, still waiting on a Form 4, but I have used my dad's Outback II on it, it's hollywood quiet with subsonics. Firing pin drop and bullet impact is all you hear.

Savage.jpg

it's hollywood quiet with subsonics. Firing pin drop and bullet impact is all you hear.

This.

Mounted on my CZ452, using sub-sonic 22LR, it actually is "hollywood movie" quite. Not so much with the 17, but still quite enough to not bother any neighbors.

Jerry

I need to look at some .22 cans, I have a Mystic in Form 4 hell, but that will be mostly on the XDm and SBR 9mm (which is also in Form 4 hell). I might as well start another one.

Very nice, I love the Savage rimfires. I started with a FV-SR, the plastic stock was ****. I don't have a .22 can, still waiting on a Form 4, but I have used my dad's Outback II on it, it's hollywood quiet with subsonics. Firing pin drop and bullet impact is all you hear.

View attachment 119059

I want to get a bipod. What model do you have? Is it a swivel model?

Thanks,

Jerry

my Element resides on my P22 and 10/22. The action noise is bothersome on the 10/22 so I'm thinking of selling or trading for a cz 452/455.

My father has a 10/22 with a TacSol barrel, I understand the action noise issue. Once you stick it on a bolt, you'll fall in love all over again. The first time we shot, we thought it was a misfire it was so quiet compared to his 10/22.

Back
Top Bottom