• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Salt Water Rig Question

Tactical Mad Dawg

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
191   0
Reaction score
Hello, thought I would try to get information on here since the guy at Bass Pro didn’t seem to know. I have a Penn Spinfisher V 8500 I’m wanting to setup for shark fishing. I can’t seem to find a rod like they sale with the combo. Any suggestions on a good rod to put this on? I’ll be filling it with 100lb braid and want a good sturdy rod that will hold up. I’m still new to the salt water fishing. I have a 7500 I’ve been using for a couple years now, but Penn doesn’t sale the rod separate like it’s on either. Thanks for any info.

Fishing from a boat, beach or dock? 7ft would work from boat or dock but I would want longer for surf fishing. Just look for the beefiest spinning rods you can find. They will have the weight ratings on them as mentioned. I like Ugly Sticks and Penn rods for decent value to quality ratio. The 8500 will haul in almost any shark you will encounter. I've caught countless 4-6 footers on trout/bass size rigs. That's a lot of fun

I will be surf fishing. We also use a kayak to take the bait out to the middle of the inlet. I use a 7ft with my 7500 and it has held up for both. Believe I will go with then Ugly Stik Bigwater spinning reel and see how it does. They are 7ft and medium/heavy. Has good reviews. Thanks for all the info and suggestions.

I will be surf fishing. We also use a kayak to take the bait out to the middle of the inlet. I use a 7ft with my 7500 and it has held up for both. Believe I will go with then Ugly Stik Bigwater spinning reel and see how it does. They are 7ft and medium/heavy. Has good reviews. Thanks for all the info and suggestions.
That means you can go a lot lighter than 100lb line. I think the heaviest the Ugly Stiks are rated is 40lbs.

I have 80lb braid on my Spinfisher 7500 and it came with the Spinfisher V 7 ft rod. The reviews I read said the Bigwater Ugly Stik would handle it. They have the cheaper Tiger rod that is as beefie and only takes up to 40 if I read it correctly. I’ll do some more googling. Not going until June and July so have time to research a little more.

I have 80lb braid on my Spinfisher 7500 and it came with the Spinfisher V 7 ft rod. The reviews I read said the Bigwater Ugly Stik would handle it. They have the cheaper Tiger rod that is as beefie and only takes up to 40 if I read it correctly. I’ll do some more googling. Not going until June and July so have time to research a little more.
https://www.uglystik.com/uglystik-r...k-bigwater-spinning-rod/1405250.html#start=13

Open the "More Specifications" tab. The heaviest they are rated for is 40lbs. Nothing wrong with putting 100lb test line on them, but why would you? If you set the drag too tight you get a broken rod and the heavier line will drag in the water more and reduce your casting distance.

How big of a shark are you thinking you'll tangle with?

Back
Top Bottom