• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Sabatti, 300 year old barrel maker

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
These offerings are out of Italy. The base hunting rifle goes for around $900 and comes in most of the popular calibers. $900 will net you the entry level hunting guns and they also have a competition model available which starts at a little under $2,000.

The company is over 300 years old and is well known for their barrels. They have been touted as having some of the best Damascus barrels in the world at one time. Fortunately they've gotten into the rifle making business with everything made in house except for the stocks. The competition models starting a little under $2,000 are guaranteed quarter MOA are better right out of the box. They're made in Italy as one of the foremost barrel makers in the region and around the world except for the us but that's about to change as the guns will be available in the US in a short time. Their hunting rifles are very attractive and use the standard asci magazine. They hold three rounds but a 5 and 10 round option is available. I for one can't wait for them to come out for I would like to get one of their hunting models. Also attractive is the competition models which guarantee a quarter MOA are better right out of the box. That is a lot to boast but they guarantee that so it should be a great offering in both markets the hunting and competition. These will be a welcome addition to the market especially to the bolt action crowd. The stocks come in a variety of wood, composite and carbon fiber. I just read a short article on them and they seem to be a well-rounded piece of equipment. I'll be anxious to see one and check it out in person. A guaranteed quarter MOA out of the box is nothing to shrug off lightly since there's not many companies out there that offer that. We'll have to see when they come out to what other models are available in each offering.

I doubt that the current models will have Damascus steel barrels - in fact, I hope they don't.

Centuries ago, Damascus steel was considered one of the most mechanically strong steel alloys, but modern manufacturing ensures that modern steels are FAR stronger.

Modern cartridge pressures are orders of magnitude greater than those experienced in black powder firearms, and you need a barrel constructed of a strong, homogenous material that can take the increased pressure.

That said, a new entrant in the quality barrel market is a welcome addition.

I doubt that the current models will have Damascus steel barrels - in fact, I hope they don't.

Centuries ago, Damascus steel was considered one of the most mechanically strong steel alloys, but modern manufacturing ensures that modern steels are FAR stronger.

Modern cartridge pressures are orders of magnitude greater than those experienced in black powder firearms, and you need a barrel constructed of a strong, homogenous material that can take the increased pressure.

That said, a new entrant in the quality barrel market is a welcome addition.
Obviously! That's not at all a superior composition these days but it was what they were known for in the past. 300 years of barrel manufacturing is a strong pedigree. Hopefully their claim can be confirmed.

I have purchased 1/4 MOA barrels from Rainier Arms in their RA Ultra Match AR-15/ AR-10 line up. 1/4 MOA is hard to beat from a AR platform rifle so it can be done. I would think after 300 years they probably have a grip on the situation. Considering it's in a bolt action platform it's not out of the realm of possibility. That being said I am anxious to put one to the test.

Back
Top Bottom