S&W Model 63 vs 617?

SpyderRyder

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
17   0
Reaction score
Yes 2 different frame types and barrel lengths.

Out of the box imo trigger smoothness is pot luck.

I've read issues with the 617. Anyone have issues with this revolver? Or has S&W resolved their problems with this. Model?

Any one shot both? Pros ? Cons?

Thanks!

pre-lock 617 if it has to be stainless. Had a couple of 34s and they are ok if you have small hands but no matter the grip the 34 crammed my finger to the trigger guard.

I have no experience with a 63, but my 617 has been flawless. In hindsight, I wish I had gone with the 4". The 6" is quite front heavy (lots of steel left up there with such a small bore), but I can smack my 8" plate at 50 yards with boring accuracy. I would like to swap out the front sight for fiber optic. Otherwise, she's good to go. 👍

20220122_183713.jpg

I have no experience with a 63, but my 617 has been flawless. In hindsight, I wish I had gone with the 4". The 6" is quite front heavy (lots of steel left up there with such a small bore), but I can smack my 8" plate at 50 yards with boring accuracy. I would like to swap out the front sight for fiber optic. Otherwise, she's good to go. 👍

View attachment 4557686
That's a lot of gun right there. Im getting a fiber optic sight on a 686 4" - hoping to get it back next week. Which is why I'll probably get the 617 4" thanks for the feedback.

Yes 2 different frame types and barrel lengths.

Out of the box imo trigger smoothness is pot luck.

I've read issues with the 617. Anyone have issues with this revolver? Or has S&W resolved their problems with this. Model?

Any one shot both? Pros ? Cons?

Thanks!
I bought a 10 shot 617 here on the ODT, 5 shots and the cylinder would lock. It also had a big nick in the crown. Sent it to smith them knowing I wasn't the original owner. They fixed the problem and replaced the barrel. NO CHARGE!!!

On another note, I bought a Taurus Raging Bull in 41 mag and the box was missing the safety Key. I wanted the package to be complete, and you would have thought I was trying to steal gold from them. After a lengthy and testy discussion they relented and sent one key.

On another note, I bought a Taurus Raging Bull in 41 mag and the box was missing the safety Key. I wanted the package to be complete, and you would have thought I was trying to steal gold from them. After a lengthy and testy discussion they relented and sent one key.
they have some nasty customer service. I had once a brand new pt740 slim and first time at the range I had the front sight fly away. Called them, reluctantly they said that will send me a replacement, never did.

Reactions: RSB
I bought a 10 shot 617 here on the ODT, 5 shots and the cylinder would lock. It also had a big nick in the crown. Sent it to smith them knowing I wasn't the original owner. They fixed the problem and replaced the barrel. NO CHARGE!!!

I heard S&W makes good on servicing anything that needs fixed.

And seems to be a known problem with the 617. Although users can also be the culprit by dry firing these revolvers without snap caps.

Im looking forward to shooting one.

Sorry for not mentioning earlier the 34 I spoke about is a j frame .22 which would feel like the 63 as far as hand size. I have a 6” 617 it shoots very well but I have to give the edge to the older 17-4 I have it’s only 6 shot but I feel it’s a little more accurate than my 617 probably just preference though.

Sorry for not mentioning earlier the 34 I spoke about is a j frame .22 which would feel like the 63 as far as hand size. I have a 6” 617 it shoots very well but I have to give the edge to the older 17-4 I have it’s only 6 shot but I feel it’s a little more accurate than my 617 probably just preference though.
Nice. Always the older models for sure! I entertained the model 63 since I carry a 642 J frame. But just found me a new 617 4" today which will give me trigger time on the same style as the 686 4" that I shoot.

Back
Top Bottom