• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

S&W model 10 build

Status
Not open for further replies.
What all is involved with converting a 64 to a 65?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have heard of it being done. Possibly new cylinder and adjust barrel gap. I haven’t read up on it or ever considered it. Most importantly a newer gun capable of withstanding the abuse from a more powerful cartridge

What all is involved with converting a 64 to a 65?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reaming the chamber of the 64 to accept .357

They are the same gun. They both were produced at a time when S&W dominated the LEO market. The governing authorities of a lot of PD would not approve the use of "magnum" .357, because you know, they "will blow your head clean off." So to be PC, those police dept. used .38 special "police loads" which were +P+ loads at light magnum velocity.

There was no reason to have both the 64 and 65, and anyone who wanted to just shoot .38 special without being forced to only shoot that round, could buy a model 65 and go on their way. The 64 was the result of S&W trying to maintain it's dominance of the LEO market.

I believe that loadnplenty loadnplenty will find the cylinder gap the same.

FWIW I have a 65 and it's my favorite knock about gun.

G gh1950 to be honest I probably won’t mess with changing the cylinder or messing with it. I have a couple model 66’s in various lengths. It was a cheap gun to be had and play with. My dad and I both have model 10’s. My son and I will both have model 64’s.

I need to rent a reamer. I have a GP-100 in .38. From my conversation with Ruger everything is the same except the cylinder and barrel markings. Nice Smith projects.

I need to rent a reamer. I have a GP-100 in .38. From my conversation with Ruger everything is the same except the cylinder and barrel markings. Nice Smith projects.

Same thing for the SP-101.

I have a Ruger Single Six in .327 H&R magnum. The cylinder is bored straight through. A .327 Fed cartridge will fit, but there isn't enough cylinder gap for the longer bullets. At least one nationally recognized gunsmith will reset the barrel to provide enough gap (face it off and re-chamfer). Another just provides a cylinder that will do the job.

YOu have some skill that I always admires Sir.
Did you get that Ithaca Shotgun fixed???

i ended up selling it for what I had in it. By the time I sent it off to Ithica for them to convert it to take new style barrels I would more in it than I could ever sale if for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom