Rural Georgia police state?

Here is a logical question. I assume the local authorities set up the road block and performed any arrest but how can LEO's from another jurisdiction legally search people and their vehicles?

Here is a logical question. I assume the local authorities set up the road block and performed any arrest but how can LEO's from another jurisdiction legally search people and their vehicles?

I would imagine they were given the authority by local LE (namely the Sheriff) but am not sure exactly how that works.

Good question and I don't know the answer. But the reply I received from the Mayor indicated that these "operations" occur several times during the year. I can only infer from his answer that these "operations" are legal. Here is the reply from the Mayor. I hope that Renee Johnston follows through and files a complaint. If she doesn't, all we will have is another allegation and no one will find out what happened. Much like the 25 plus pages of this thread. I just wonder how many did anything. I would bet most sat in their chair and complained, but obviously, I don't know.

Mr. Carter,

I to am concerned with the actions of these officers. Please note that these officers, although participating in an operation in our community, are not the values of our Monticello Police Department officers. I will voice my concern with my Police Chief who I have copied in this response. We have coordinated this operation with fellow police agencies for some time. This operation has been in existance for some time periodically during the year with no issues. This is a lesson for us to direct the expectations of all officers participating in thses type operations in the future.

Mayor Bryan Standifer

I can tell you that Renee and Tom will both be at the board of commissioners meeting to bring it to the table. Afterwards she plans on filing a formal complaint with the Governors office for Operation Zero Tolerance.

I can tell you that Renee and Tom will both be at the board of commissioners meeting to bring it to the table. Afterwards she plans on filing a formal complaint with the Governors office for Operation Zero Tolerance.

They will do better by contacting channel 2 news and any other news outlets that will get the story out.
Media pressure and internet awareness pressure (like this) can and will change practices.

This story just turns my stomach. Not everyone with a badge is fit to have a badge and it seems Renee ran into two with problems.

For me the most disturbing part of the story was the officer that knew her and just stood there and watched. The "sorry" he gave after also showed he doesn't have what it takes to wear a badge.

For me the most disturbing part of the story was the officer that knew her and just stood there and watched. The "sorry" he gave after also showed he doesn't have what it takes to wear a badge.

Same here, DTK. It seems like he doesn't have a pair and just rolled over for the out-of-town cops. What a disgrace.

WTF is up with all this ZERO TOLERANCE bologne anyways? everyone makes mistakes,
especially young people,throwing the book at someone over what should be a minor
infraction is tiresome.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 137
Back
Top Bottom