• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ruger SR9C

nstodghill

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
13   0
Reaction score
I just bought a Ruger SR9C. This gun is perfect at least for me, and here is why. I can shoot it, and shoot it good ! It has a awesome trigger break with a clean consistiant take up before the break. Im sort of a trigger snob, and was planning to install a ghost trigger on pistol, but no way am i gonna touch it now. To me its the perfect carry trigger with enough pull to make sure you dont let one slip under pressure but crisp enough to be very nice. I did do a little modifying but I will cover that later.

This pistol is the perfect length in my opinion. Long enough sight radius to be accurate with, but short enough to carry. And boy is it accurate! After all what good is a little pistol you cant hit crap with. I sold my Smith and Wesson Shield to buy this cause I couldnt hit crap with it due to sloppy trigger, short sight radius, and bad fit in hand due to super slim profile. I mean the best gun to have is the one you have with you, but when i comes to protecting my family I am willing to sacrafice a little comfort for a gun that hits its target. I find this gun comfortable to carry due to its slim sleek design. No snag spots and everything is rounded nicley. I keep this gun in my truck and on my self, and purchased it for a carry/truck pistol. Which brings me to another thing I love about the pistol.

It comes with 2 mags. One 10 round mag with pinky extension for carry and One 17 round full length mag with handle extension for full length handle. So riding in the truck I keep the 17 mag installed and when i carry it I just pop in the 10 round mag if needed to conceal. The grip angle is also great for me and fits in the hand very well. I like a the fact that it has a safety, it is a must for me being that I move the pistol around so much out of a holster. It also has a big loaded chamber indecator on top that I thought I was gonna hate, and planned to remove. But turns out it dosent bother me at all. Doesnt effect my sights or snag. Its not the most beautiful thing but this is not a Safe Queen either. Its my keep us Safe pistol and hey I know its loaded and ready with a short glance. I did remove the magazine disconnect block on the pistol which is very easy to do.

I love the fact that it has a elevation adjustment screw on rear sight and can be drifted for windage. I didnt need to drift it any but did adjust the elevation to my liking and it was very tactile with no play or slop in screw. The sight picture is great too. White dots are clear with front dot being larger than back dots. I have fired only 200 rounds through it so far but have had 0 malfunctions with HP or FMJ.

Now to fit and finish. The finish on the out side is great, slide has a nice polish on it with out being to shinny, the engravings are nicley done and the polymer grip does not feel cheapish to me however the mag well is very thin. The finish on the inside of the slide is however not so great. It is fine were it matters but not so smooth like you would expect to see on a Sig or Smith on other parts that have no mechanical purpose. This only effects cleaning as the not so smooth parts hold on to that carbon. The fit of the pistol it great, there is no rattles when you shake the pistol and the slide is very smooth. I have done a little polishing on the feed ramp, slide face around the firing pin (as i do to all my pistols), and latch on the firing pin. As well as took a fine stone to the sear that releases the firing pin latch. The trigger did have a little grit and this did away with all of it. There is a video on you tube on how to do it titled " Ruger SR9 Trigger improvment" . I run a little Tetra Grease on the sear and rails and this gun runs like butter. Hope you enjoyed this review. Also Hickock45 on youtube does a great video on this pistol.

Update- I removed stock sights. After doing more shooting with stock sights I realized that this three dot system does not work well for me. I always shoot lining up the sight flush across the top, which you can do with this sight very accurately. But not quickly. The large front dot is designed to be lined up with the rear dots in the centers in which case the top of the sights are not flush. So basically you are not using the tops of sights at all or only the tops of sights and not dots at all. If you use dots only it works fine. But I replaced with Novaks night sights and they are awesome. I can get a sight picture much faster with them.

Also i now carry this pistol in a N82 Professional Tactical holster. If you carry inside the wast band this is the best ! Trust me if had them all !

Last edited:
Good review but dang, paragraphs please! That solid block of text had me hallucinating halfway through...

Love the SR series in general though. Probably some of the best 'bang for the bug' semi-auto pistols out there today.

Nice Review.... I have the SR9 and the Shield.... Love the SR9... Perfect for me...So far I am not big fan of the Shield.... But I got it for my wife... Will let her make the decision on whether we keep it.... Made change that ont out for SR9C.....

Back
Top Bottom