• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Round Count

A theory on "round count""

"Round Count" (that's "down the pipe" in ODT vernacular).

An AR or a pistol with a "round count" of X is ok, but Y is not. The assumption is that after a certain number of rounds, some part or parts of the firearm are "worn out".

I grant you that barrels can be "shot out". However, I've owned M1 Garands that were +2-3 on the muzzle and shot wonderfully out to 300 yards. Also, most pistol and AR barrels can be replaced, albeit that is an additional cost.

Compare this to someone buying an HK or clone wanting "genuine" HK parts. Like the actual bolt...from 1969! What do you think the "round count" is going to be on an MP5 (or clone) with a genuine HK bolt head from the 60s? However, genuine HK parts are considered desirable even if more than 50 years old.

Are genuine HK parts that much better than a barrel made by manufacturer Z ? Sometimes, but I sincerely doubt that unless you are shooting competitively and / or at long ranges, you will appreciate any difference between an AR with a round count of 1500, and one with 8000.

I'd be more interested in the "cleaning count", as in, did you deep clean the firearm every time you fired it?

For me the round count is important depending on the price. if I am paying close to or at full retail for "used", I want it to be LNIB. If it has 500 rounds on it, that's nothing, but if it has more wear and tear as a result, then the gun is no longer worth full retail to me, and the price should reflect that wear and tear...

Lnib is still a used gun used cars are used cars. You can't sell them for msrp with 1000 miles on em

Tell that to ODT. At least 80% of the used guns here are WELL over MSRP. It's not a car, there are no laws around it, so it's a bit like the Wild West... I wish people wouldn't list used guns for 60% more than the local gun stores are selling them for new, today... But there is nothing to prevent them from doing so. If someone is dumb or desperate enough to pay $900 for a used Glock, let them...

Back
Top Bottom