Revolver Help

vwthing1

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
39   0
Reaction score
Ok, after much research, debate and contemplation, I made the decision to buy a 9mm revolver. I debated the 357/38 option and only decided to go the 9mm route to stick with the other 9's in the current stockpile.

Working on a limited (by the wife) budget, and not seeing many 9 revolvers pop up on ODT, I bought a new Taurus 905. Please do not tell me I should have bought this Smith or that Ruger. We are past that point now and unless you are willing to trade me a Smith 929 or a Ruger Blackhawk convertible, let's move forward.

So, I pick up the new gun, installed the 5 rounds into the moonclips and dropped it into the cylinder, went to close the cylinder and it would not close. After looking a lot of reviews on the 905, everyone was complaining about the moonclips not holding the rounds securely. Mine were stiff as hell and the rounds would not begin to fall out. (I know they are new and would be tight, but...) Was going to buy the TK moon clips, but hate spending more money if the problem is a spacing issue.

Tried all the other clips provided and nothing allowed the cylinder to close. Took the rounds out and dropped the into the cylinder with out the clips and bingo closes up nice and tight. during my research I found that the revolver will shoot with out the clips, but decided not t o try this in case I needed to send it back. (did not want Taurus to say I screwed something up)

So my question to all the wheel gun experts. What am I missing here? I am stumped at this point. Short of sending it back to Taurus and waiting 2 months what else should I be looking at? I have shot revolvers in the pass and was going the revolver route for reliability. (So much for that idea)

Thoughts, comments and suggestions welcomed.

I was interested in your problem as I have some revolvers in .45. From what I read, these guns have some machining issues on the cylinders, but a lot of the folks say the clips are the problem. Can you see anything not fitting flush if you put the moonclips on the cylinder unloaded? Clip should be flush with back OD cylinder. From what I see these clips are very expensive and are cut very different than ones like my smith. One reason I like moonclips is that they are inexpensive speed loaders in my case (expensive in yours).

One note, Charter Arms makes a comparable 9 that uses NO Clips at all, I have owned one and it performed without fail.

9 mm recoil isn't pleasurable in a snub with + P ammo, almost .357 like.

I wouldn't hesitate to try a few without clips, but that's me. I do it all the time with the .45

They will shoot fine without the clips, as with any 9mm weapon they headspace on the case mouth. The clip is probably not designed for that particular revolver, would be my GUESS. did the moon clips you are using come with the revolver? Where does it appear to hit when trying to close? Have you tried to eject the rounds clip less, I have heard some revolvers are designed to do this with the 9 (witchcraft). Any photos?

Any way to shave down your moon clips a tad?

That may be all it needs.

Revolver tolerances are measured in thousandths of an inch.

Here's the problem
20160521_220211.jpg

Without the moon clips
20160521_220452.jpg

Attachments

• 20160521_220524.jpg
    20160521_220524.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 14
Any way to shave down your moon clips a tad?

That may be all it needs.

Revolver tolerances are measured in thousandths of an inch.

No way to shave them and ensure that all of them are the same thickness all the way around

Clips provided with the gun

Back
Top Bottom