Removing rattle can paint from blued revolver?

hamburglar3

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Robble Robble Robble
651   0
Reaction score
Near Ellijay GA Sandy Springs occasionally
I just bought an H&R 999 and need to remove some flat black paint someone has sprayed on. It chips off with the some rubbing with fingernail but that would take forever. Has anyone had any successful experience with a chemical/brush combination to remove quickly and, most importantly, without damaging the factory blueing?

Thanks for any and all advice.

I just bought an H&R 999 and need to remove some flat black paint someone has sprayed on. It chips off with the some rubbing with fingernail but that would take forever. Has anyone had any successful experience with a chemical/brush combination to remove quickly and, most importantly, without damaging the factory blueing?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Do you think that there is viable bluing underneath the paint?

Not trying to be funny, just can't think of why someone would spray paint a gun with decent bluing.

Do you think that there is viable bluing underneath the paint?

Not trying to be funny, just can't think of why someone would spray paint a gun with decent bluing.

Not sure. If the underlying finish is poor, will probably get cerakoted. I think it would be difficult to find someone to hot blue a gun these days with al the EPA restrictions.

Not sure. If the underlying finish is poor, will probably get cerakoted. I think it would be difficult to find someone to hot blue a gun these days with al the EPA restrictions.

I've had decent success with black magic bluing. It's a semicold blue that looks like the old style deep, deep black. It's under 20.00 and is a good alternative if you don't want to drop a bunch on a cheap gun.

-- not saying yours is cheap, but the one I fixed up was. Reblued all of the metal on a 70 year old rifle, including the barrel. It came out with a dark black that looked nicer than some of my new guns.

Use acetone, it will not affect bluing. If it is standard rattle can spray paint the acetone will cut the paint like magic.

Yes it will (acetone = old style fingernail polish remover) and will not hurt the bluing.

The H&R 999 is great 9 shot break top .22 LR revolver that I shot as a child with Dad. To me it would be worth hot re-bluing and one can accomplish this with simply nitrate fertilizer and lye.

Post up pics of before and after if you can. I have one setting on the bench in pieces that eventually will become a fine revolver again. This one was picked used in great condition.

i44.tinypic.com_2nqr4f5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom