• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading kit recommendations

brockington

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
16   1
Reaction score
Just starting out in the reloading arena. Would like some input.

Is there one kit that is recommended over others?

Will be looking at reloading many different caliber. 223 , 9mm , 45 acp

thanks in advance

I would go with a single stage rock chucker. It can do all calibers ( have to buy the dies ). For your 1st just so you can see what's going on. Basspro has them for 350 with a rebate. I have one, even have a progressive. But when I load rifle shells for myself I still use the rcbs.. Just my 2c ...

I don't care for any press that cams over past the top. I've owned a pile of different brands and types over the years.

After trying as many as I have, I prefer the Lee Classic Cast family of presses, but the Challenger is a very good press at a bargain price.

I'm a Dillon Precision XL650 user for LIFE! With the case loader, you can do about 800 rounds in an hour. Never a single issue with parts, customer service or otherwise. Also their Blue Press catalogs can turn heads!

FYI: Dillon is the company that produces those mini guns hanging on the front of A10s and Apaches. There is no machine gun on this planet that performs like them. Ask the Taliban!

I don't work for Dillon.... just a very happy customer. There is not a better loader out there IMO.

A Dillon mini in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxvmrmLYbls

Last edited:
None of the presses are bad. Hornady, RCBS, Lee, Dillon, you name it, they all get the job done and are quality products. Selecting the kind of press, as opposed to the brand or press, is what you need to focus on. That decision depends on experience level, the quantity of ammunition you intend to produce, the space you have available and several other considerations. Often, people suggest that beginners start with a single stage press or at most a turret press and avoid getting a progressive press. That's probably pretty good advice. It will give you the opportunity to really focus on each stage of ammunition construction, without being distracted by what just happened with one stage and what's going to happen at the next simultaneously.

However, the most critical piece of equipment to buy, before you buy anything else, is at least one (more is better) reloading manual. Then really study that manual, not just the load data, but rather the parts that cover the process of reloading. Once you've done that, a lot of your questions will have been answered. I would suggest the Lyman #49 manual for starters, but there are many good ones. Buy it. Read it. Then worry about buying a press. Never forget that you are considering building explosive devices that are to be detonated in close proximity to your head and hands. Some good education goes a long way in keeping them in their original configuration.

Back
Top Bottom