• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Reloading .223 for AR platform

I had the same problem years ago when I started loading on a new Dillon 550B. I had loaded about 50 rounds and deceided the check them in a rifle. They were about 1/8" from locking the bolt.

My problem was that I had the sizing die about 1/16" to 1/8" to high.

I use small base dies for any autos I load for. This came from when I started load for a Rem 742 30-06 and never had any jams out of the old Remy.

I use to reload 223 for my Mini-14 about 25plus years ago.... I was reloading thousands.... college and shooting...not much of a life then..... anyways.... I never re-sized any of the casings..... I reloaded them numerous times.... I may of had one or two jams..... actually I can't remember having any problems.... but I am sure I had some. Point being.... I didn't realize there was such an effort needed on monitoring case sizing.... normally if there was dents and such on the casing, that was when I tossed them.....

I use to reload 223 for my Mini-14 about 25plus years ago.... I was reloading thousands.... college and shooting...not much of a life then..... anyways.... I never re-sized any of the casings..... I reloaded them numerous times.... I may of had one or two jams..... actually I can't remember having any problems.... but I am sure I had some. Point being.... I didn't realize there was such an effort needed on monitoring case sizing.... normally if there was dents and such on the casing, that was when I tossed them.....

I've found the AR to be a bit more finicky than my old Mini-14 ever was. Old dinged-up, bent military rounds that wouldn't even start to chamber in my AR would chamber with just a little encouragement in my Mini. That said, I use a small-base sizing die when loading for my ARs. Not always needed, but some chambers are a bit tighter than others.

Back
Top Bottom