• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Reloading .223 for AR platform

Dovebuster

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
40   0
Reaction score
While I am relatively new to reloading for the AR platform, I have been reloading for @ 30 years. Mostly a ratchet gun guy but I have reloaded for semi's. Well, I know you full length resize for any semi. And also for a ratchet gun if you aren't using the ammo in the same gun that shot it the first time. That said, I have:
Trimmed
Full-length resized
Tried different load recipe's

and still have trouble with all my AR's chambering. They usually get to within 1/4 of full chamber and stop. Can someone give me some info, help or ideas? Is the AR just a finicky female piece of equipment? I am beginning to think maybe my dies are faulty. The .223's all chamber in all my ratchet .223 guns but that is a different story.

Thanks for any info.

Some people use Small-Base dies when loading for semi auto AR's. Regardless, a good case length gage is vital if you want to eliminate trial and error. It is remotely possible that you have a short chamber as well.

Try another set of FL dies. Compare sized brass with factory new.

Small base dies have never been needed in any 5.56 chamber that I've loaded for.

Get your dial calipers out and look for something out of spec.

what make dies are you using>?

I've found the lee fl 223 to be very close to a small base.

what bullets are you using ?

I'd make sure you have set the shoulder back correclty( you need "a good case length gage")

Also check your seating die. If you are crimpimg too early in the stroke it may bubble the neck of the cartridge. If you are crimping on a seperate die then raise the seating die and crank down the bullet seater. If you are using the seating die to crimp as well then raise the die a little bit and crimp a little less. The lower part of the shoulderis where the case begins to buldge when you set the crimp too early in the stroke.

Sounds like it could be the case length or you may not have the shoulder of the case right. I swear by case length gages and calipers. Take the measurements from several similiar factory cartridges with same weight projectiles and compare. If you have a good reloading manual the specs will be listed there as well which is even better.

Looking at it from a different angle, does the gun run fine w/factory ammo?

Not a reloader (yet) but sometimes when trouble-shooting you want to rule out as many variables as possible.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom