Recreational Pot; has your view changed?

Do you think marijuana should be decriminalized and taxed as a commodity?

• Total voters
I can't say that I am a fan of prohibition schemes - regulation would probably result in better long term social effects IMO.

What part of the constitution gives the federal government the authority to regulate it?

Section 8
1: The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

I have a mixed opinion on it. In one way I can see it vastly reducing the population of inmates within the state and even county level detention centers and prisons. I could also see it being used as a gateway drug stopping or atleast slowing down, because at the end of the day there will be someone out there chasing a "better" high still. Legalization in my opinion would require vast regulation on it, i.e. where you can buy it legally, legal age of consumption, where it can legally be grown, ect. Legalization would open a huge can of worms for atleast the first few years of it being legal but at the same time the can almost needs to be opened.

Back
Top Bottom