• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Recommended "set-up" for AR/ M4 rifles

surprised it took this long for somebody to mention buffers...should be on page 1 in the "highly recommended" section...H-buffer at the least.

surprised it took this long for somebody to mention buffers...should be on page 1 in the "highly recommended" section...H-buffer at the least.
Great topic ,buffer weights are great to tune one in, to slow down cyclic action or to speed one up, the mass of the BCG and spring tension all affect the performance of the rifle and affect muzzle control with reciprocating mass of the recoil impulse from the BCG...Commercial buffer weight for a commercial BCG is good with lower power rounds or standard power rounds ..specific weighted buffers should be chosen with BCG and loads used..not as critical in mil spec rifles as it is in a competition rifle or precision rifle..if having issues with constant stove piping or multi feeds may need to consider different buffer weight with all other components in good order.. also the gas system length carbine mid or rifle length all effect the action rate..or dwell time

Last edited:
it's known that many manufacturers enlarge the barrel gas port to allow shooting of America's two favorite ammos: tula and wolf.

if you're like me and shoot American brass only, you'll likely find that you need at least an H1.

I have a VDI lifebolt too. it works the same as the others just one less thing to worry about. and yes, PSA too doesn't stake their gas keys quite right from time to time.

it's known that many manufacturers enlarge the barrel gas port to allow shooting of America's two favorite ammos: tula and wolf.

if you're like me and shoot American brass only, you'll likely find that you need at least an H1.

I have a VDI lifebolt too. it works the same as the others just one less thing to worry about. and yes, PSA too doesn't stake their gas keys quite right from time to time.
Not had a PSA premium carrier staked improperly from the 20+ I have used/installed. Now the PTAC, or lesser offerings, I Have no clue.

H buffer only if your rifle cycles properly for a start. For me, there is no "set" start point if you shoot low quality steel and descent brass ammo.

It's dependent off the gas port size and quality of ammo. Is an important topic though.

I had a colt BCG with improper staking too..so it runs the gamut over all manufacturers..i got a staking punch just for those occasions

Not had a PSA premium carrier staked improperly from the 20+ I have used/installed. Now the PTAC, or lesser offerings, I Have no clue.
I've had 12 of them - premium and the 9310(?) non premium bcgs.

with the 12th, the gas key worked itself loose. I screwed the screws back in and restaked. no problems since.

I've had 12 of them - premium and the 9310(?) non premium bcgs.

with the 12th, the gas key worked itself loose. I screwed the screws back in and restaked. no problems since.
How did they have it staked? I am sure PSA has let some bad ones out te door. Hell, my SR15 bolt catch follower tab just broke off a few weeks ago. That's on a $2k+ rifle. The bolt catch appeared to be a poorly made piece to begin with.

How did they have it staked? I am sure PSA has let some bad ones out te door. Hell, my SR15 bolt catch follower tab just broke off a few weeks ago. That's on a $2k+ rifle. The bolt catch appeared to be a poorly made piece to begin with.

Obviously not well. And this wasn't a PTAC bcg but it wasn't a PSA premium. (I'm not sure if there's a difference anymore)

Back
Top Bottom