• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Recommended "set-up" for AR/ M4 rifles

I'm loving my FailZero BCG so far, I use a small amount of clp on the bolt itself, and haven't had to scrape it yet. Plus it looks nice, and matches my nb trigger group .

I forget, and on a cursory glance through the thread, muzzle devices haven't really been touched on in too much detail. Is the A2 still viable these days? Most brakes I've played with in an indoor shooting range, were pretty stout for not just the folks next to me, but behind the gun as well (only really when shooting right next to a wall though). So is the recoil mitigation worth the concussion? I've played with quite a few (Rainer mini brake is my favorite so far for its small size and lack of weight out on the business end), but I'm still kinda torn on what direction to go. I do fine with an A2, so should I bother investing the $$ in one?

Nice thread and some nice rifle pics to boot. My advice to a new AR owner would be to learn to use the rifle just how it comes off the shelf. Buy a quality rifle and learn to use it with iron sights, ingrain those muscle manipulations. Then decide if you need to change or add anything. This may be an outdated view and probably doesen't apply to many, but I have very seldom had the luxury of using a rifle that I "set up". Being a left handed shooter I would have loved to set up a "left handed" rifle, but mastering that rifle would have done me no good. Old habits die hard I guess. I am not opposed to setting up a rifle at all, and I have made quite a few mods when I had the chance, but the basic rifle stayed the same. Master the stock rifle to the point that you can go to any class, or qual, grab a stock rifle that is reasonably accurate "off the shelf" and get the job done.

After gaining confidence and proficiency in the platform, customize away. Thats my 2 cents.....You would hate to have an opportunity pass you buy because the only AR you can shoot is "YOUR" AR......It's happened more than once

Nice thread and some nice rifle pics to boot. My advice to a new AR owner would be to learn to use the rifle just how it comes off the shelf. Buy a quality rifle and learn to use it with iron sights, ingrain those muscle manipulations. Then decide if you need to change or add anything. This may be an outdated view and probably doesen't apply to many, but I have very seldom had the luxury of using a rifle that I "set up". Being a left handed shooter I would have loved to set up a "left handed" rifle, but mastering that rifle would have done me no good. Old habits die hard I guess. I am not opposed to setting up a rifle at all, and I have made quite a few mods when I had the chance, but the basic rifle stayed the same. Master the stock rifle to the point that you can go to any class, or qual, grab a stock rifle that is reasonably accurate "off the shelf" and get the job done.

After gaining confidence and proficiency in the platform, customize away. Thats my 2 cents.....You would hate to have an opportunity pass you buy because the only AR you can shoot is "YOUR" AR......It's happened more than once

I agree that is good advice.

Sounds like me. I've shot some red dots but I am much more experienced with magnification, and I am also very unsure if I would prefer a red dot.
Red dot is great for CQB out to hundred yards ..some may say farther.. But that's where an optic with magnification would do best.... Man sized target is about the same size as front post at 500yards with irons

Reactions: MRH
When my daughter was 10YOA she was ringing steel at 498yds with my DDM4, Aimpoint Micro T1, and M193 ball ammo. Training environment, of course.

On man-size targets in a real world environment, I'd say I'm good to at least 300yds with a good 1x red dot, like the Micro T1/T2. However, my distance vision, according to my yearly physical last summer, is 20/12. If I can get the other guy to stand still long enough, which they usually don't seem to wanna do, I'd stretch that distance quite a bit.

A 2MOA dot is only 6" at 300yds, plenty small enough to put on a torso or upper body.

Red dot is great for CQB out to hundred yards ..some may say farther.. But that's where an optic with magnification would do best.... Man sized target is about the same size as front post at 500yards with irons

Agreed. I can't help but wonder if I wouldn't rather have a slug gun with a red dot at 100 yards and closer. My AK with magnification for anything farther. :D

Agreed. I can't help but wonder if I wouldn't rather have a slug gun with a red dot at 100 yards and closer. My AK with magnification for anything farther. :D
i was dropping pop up targets at 300 yards (or meters, whatever) with my issued m16a4 with iron sights

When I was in the Corps, all Marines qualified out to 500yds with an iron-sighted M16A2 and M855 ball ammo. It was 10 rounds for a possible 5 points each.......easiest 50 points of the course. Prone with a loop sling.

Again, training environment and not "real world"......

Back
Top Bottom