• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recommendations I Need new coax run for comcast in 2 places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just drop one cable from the easiest basement access and put in a splitter? Or come through the basement wall from outside cable box?
All of these are interior walls where the cable has to be fished up/down.

I have a beautiful house with 18 foot ceilings. Not doing any shady stuff. I’m looking for someone to do it right. That probably means drilling inside the wall.

The idiot who jacked things up was too busy talking to hear what I was trying to tell him. But hey he must have told me a dozen times he’s been doing this sh@t for 27 years, do why would he be bothered to listen to me?

He already drilled unnecessary holes into the side of my house. Any other holes would be on the opposite side of the room from where I need them.

All of these are interior walls where the cable has to be fished up/down.

I have a beautiful house with 18 foot ceilings. Not doing any shady stuff. I’m looking for someone to do it right. That probably means drilling inside the wall.

The idiot who jacked things up was too busy talking to hear what I was trying to tell him. But hey he must have told me a dozen times he’s been doing this sh@t for 27 years, do why would he be bothered to listen to me?

He already drilled unnecessary holes into the side of my house. Any other holes would be on the opposite side of the room from where I need them.
OK, not trying to be a smartazz here, but 40 years experience pulling residential and business phone and coax cables, without actually seeing the situation it sounds like you may have unreasonable expectations.
Hope it all gets worked out to your satisfaction.

If you have existing lines that terminate in an unfinished basement you should be able to electric tape the new line to the old one and just pull through and replace the new with the old as it comes out

OK, not trying to be a smartazz here, but 40 years experience pulling residential and business phone and coax cables, without actually seeing the situation it sounds like you may have unreasonable expectations.
What 'most' company cable installers do is to run the wire on the outside of the house most convenient to where it comes up (or down) and then run it along below a siding plank or down low/high where it isn't as noticeable. Then they drill through the wall nearest to where the TV/etc. is. See it all the time on houses. It's the fastest way and no drilling inside walls. It's not the best but it's what they usually do.

I used to install AC and cable a long time ago and to work from the cable head through an unfinished basement and then coming up inside a wall you have to drill down through the 2X4 plate stud from wherever you're gonna put the receptacle/connect for the TV/etc. I had several drills for this - long (4,6 and 8') flexible drills for blind drilling through the floor plates. They also had a holder tool that allowed you to bend the drill while drilling to keep it straight. On the drill end and chuck end are small holes for pulling wire. Drill down, unchuck the bit, go downstairs and strip off enough center conductor wire and thread it to the bit hole and pull up into your LV/rework receptable box and put a connector on it and mount the thru connector and plate.

I don't think wanting it done this way is unreasonable. It keeps it from looking like crap on the outside. Whether the potential installer has the right tools and know-how is another story.

I still have all the tools - just too damn old to do anything with them now. :0(

If you have existing lines that terminate in an unfinished basement you should be able to electric tape the new line to the old one and just pull through and replace the new with the old as it comes out
Really tiny holes. When I pulled internet wire I used an old existing phone line. I need a pro.

The other thing is you cannot get eyes on it. It is by feel only.

What 'most' company cable installers do is to run the wire on the outside of the house most convenient to where it comes up (or down) and then run it along below a siding plank or down low/high where it isn't as noticeable. Then they drill through the wall nearest to where the TV/etc. is. See it all the time on houses. It's the fastest way and no drilling inside walls. It's not the best but it's what they usually do.

I used to install AC and cable a long time ago and to work from the cable head through an unfinished basement and then coming up inside a wall you have to drill down through the 2X4 plate stud from wherever you're gonna put the receptacle/connect for the TV/etc. I had several drills for this - long (4,6 and 8') flexible drills for blind drilling through the floor plates. They also had a holder tool that allowed you to bend the drill while drilling to keep it straight. On the drill end and chuck end are small holes for pulling wire. Drill down, unchuck the bit, go downstairs and strip off enough center conductor wire and thread it to the bit hole and pull up into your LV/rework receptable box and put a connector on it and mount the thru connector and plate.

I don't think wanting it done this way is unreasonable. It keeps it from looking like crap on the outside. Whether the potential installer has the right tools and know-how is another story.

I still have all the tools - just too damn old to do anything with them now. :0(
I can do most of the cable runs myself. I really need the kind of help you are describing to punch a couple holes through the sill plate.

I’m looking at $250 to have a company called HelloTech come out. I’d prefer to deal with an ODT member. What do you want? Cash? Ammo? Range time with my M16 when the tax form clears?

I installed my own Cat6e ethernet cable to three locations in my 30-year-old house using cable and terminals from TrueCable.com. I researched the best cable and they kept showing up in the results. I learned how to do everything from the great videos and "how-to's" on their website. AT&T never returned my calls asking for an estimate, and other installers wanted way too much money. I had to have ethernet outlets for two home offices, so I was forced to be self-reliant. I know you want a pro to do it, but you could at least see what the material costs could be along with learning the right way the job should be done. That way, you'll know the installer isn't cutting corners or pulling the wool over your eyes. Knowledge is Power.

So you’re with Comcast and you’re looking for 2 additional runs in the house? Does the $250 include the work/materials? If so, that’s not entirely unreasonable If the work is done right. In fact, it would be considered on cheap side pending on the work needed.
They don't know how to conceal it from what I have experienced. Had to run them off and do it myself

Yup I worked for Comcast as a technician for a while. I also owned my own satellite and security company. I did everything from C/Ku band to DSS and telephone and internet working for TV stations and sports bars and residential as well. Sometimes a wall fish literally can't be done without ripping out sheetrock or worse. Techs aren't allowed to do certain things that might effect home structure like drilling through foundations.

BTW You should switch to Directv. Directv is all wireless nowadays with one central control box that feeds all other boxes wirelessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom