• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recoil for new shooters (especially children/ women)

GeauxLSU

Default rank 5000+ posts
Corn Pop
Staff member
Super Moderator
63   0
Reaction score
Where the stars at night are big and bright.
The question gets asked over and over again.

You guys really need to consider something.
How much do you weigh? Look at this chart. http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm (Yes I get there's lots of variables but it's a good starting point).
Now pick a gun you wouldn't want a new shooter experiencing or 'learning' on so they don't develop bad habits or worse get gun shy. Divide the recoil from that gun by your body weight (say you weigh 200 pounds and you don't want your 7 year old feeling what you feel when you pull the trigger on a .300 win mag). 26.2/200 = 13.1% coming back at you.
Now take your 70 pound 7 year old. 13% of that little guy is 9.17 pounds or in other words... about a .243. And remember, most of you are touting LIGHT rifles which will make the recoil worse. So if you want your 70# 7 year old 'learning' to shoot with the relative recoil of something harder than a .300 win Mag... well knock yourself out (or him/her I guess).

:tsk:

* edit I now see the average 7 year old only weights 50 pounds making that .243's recoil comparable to that of a 200# person shooting a .338 Win Mag! *

Last edited:
Comfort and enjoyability....the only two factors that matter. If it scares a child or women away from the interest then it is a no-go. Doesn't take a chart, just experience.

Comfort and enjoyability....the only two factors that matter. If it scares a child or women away from the interest then it is a no-go. Doesn't take a chart, just experience.
The problem is too many fathers want to brag about what Jr. (or their 'honey') is shooting and too many kids (understandably) don't want to tell daddy they can't handle it.
Couldn't even list how many proud fathers have shown off their kids shooting as he/she closes their eyes and jerks the trigger like they are trying to pull start a lawn mower. So some level of objectivity (like the formula I suggested) 'might' help inject some sanity into the equation.

I bought a .243 single shot for my older two kids ages 11 and 7. Thinking that its a youth gun so they can handle it. I have never owned a .243 so after shooting it myself a few times I realize that neither one of them are big enough to handle that gun. As much as I want them to get a deer themselves I will not take a chance of making them gun shy by forcing them to grow up to fast. It looks like I have a few more years before they will be ready for the .243 So we sill be letting them practice with the crossbow and start with that!!

Another variable that is just as important as recoil is noise. An AR has very little recoil, but if it has any type of flash hider, it is a noisy beast. My wife handles her Tikka .243 very well, but she won't shoot my ARs because they are too loud for her, even with double hearing protection.

So, when starting someone out in shooting, double hearing protection is always a good thing.

Youtube has many videos of "Men" laughing as their Wife shoots a 12 gauge / 300 WM, .44 Mag etc... What kind of jerk intentionally lets their loved one get beat to heck and probably never wants to shoot again...

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair, I don't think the reality of the math you presented (great work by the way) ever occurs to most folks.

.223 for the win!

Another variable that is just as important as recoil is noise. An AR has very little recoil, but if it has any type of flash hider, it is a noisy beast. My wife handles her Tikka .243 very well, but she won't shoot my ARs because they are too loud for her, even with double hearing protection.
So, when starting someone out in shooting, double hearing protection is always a good thing.
Exactly. I was thinking about starting my son out on one but he is VERY noise sensitive. The bolt action .222 is infinitely quieter than an AR.
Youtube has many videos of "Men" laughing as their Wife shoots a 12 gauge / 300 WM, .44 Mag etc... What kind of jerk intentionally lets their loved one get beat to heck and probably never wants to shoot again...
A 'special' kind....

To be fair, I don't think the reality of the math you presented (great work by the way) ever occurs to most folks.
I know. I hope some consider it. :(

Back
Top Bottom