RBGC 2019 Run-and-Gun (5k/10k)

5 mins off for the Clay's and the throwing stuff seems a little much.
100% agree. I went to a pistol match recently that took like 30 seconds off your match time based on some non shooting skill. I thought it really put a damper on an otherwise great competition.

I didn't mind the shotgun stage, running an unfamiliar gun is something that is relevant, as is a throwing object but you shouldn't get rewarded with less time on the run side.

Look I have not a chance in hell of winning this thing, I don't shoot good enough, or run good enough but keeping it competitive is all in the fun for me. I haven't ran in years until signing up for this event and have been running with a 20lb pack for 3+ months. It will be a bit of a drag if I botch the shotgun stage early on and know that someone walking will get a better run time than me even though the shooting and running are supposed to be equally weighted.

My stance wouldn't change if I cleaned house with the shotgun and throwing objects. Not a fan of the run time reduction regardless of how well I do on them. The possibility of cutting 30+ minutes off a course that could be run in less than 30 minutes just seems crazy to me.

It's a tradeoff for the outlaw nature of these matches. There's not much to do but shoot shotguns on shotgun hill. If it's too out of whack then provide feedback to the MD for future development. I think the run time bonus is better than counting as shooting score in time plus scoring. 2.5 minutes seems more reasonable to me, but with 1000 things going on for the MD we at least have this as a concession versus what was before.

I'm my view, RnG isn't a competition. It's a shared experience of struggle.

With shooters released at different times all day, there is no way that the playing field is level for all. If you show up at the 600 yard range during the one time of the day when it's windy, you are going to struggle more than the first runner who gets to shoot in the calm of the morning. One shooter may get 10 mins of wait time and another none. It's the luck of the draw.

As for the burpees. I tried to do 15 in my gear and I was gassed. The USPSA gamer in me was thinking to just show up at the stage listen to the stage briefing and then say good-bye. Don't even try. But, I'll bet to move forward on the course, everyone has to do the 15 ... which will suck.

burpees hate you.JPG

I'm my view, RnG isn't a competition. It's a shared experience of struggle.

With shooters released at different times all day, there is no way that the playing field is level for all. If you show up at the 600 yard range during the one time of the day when it's windy, you are going to struggle more than the first runner who gets to shoot in the calm of the morning. One shooter may get 10 mins of wait time and another none. It's the luck of the draw.

As for the burpees. I tried to do 15 in my gear and I was gassed. The USPSA gamer in me was thinking to just show up at the stage listen to the stage briefing and then say good-bye. Don't even try. But, I'll bet to move forward on the course, everyone has to do the 15 ... which will suck.

View attachment 2255946
Good call. I am just going to approach it that way from here on out and just have fun with it. I wouldn't have minded the reduction on the shooting side as that makes more sense, but it is what it is. Ive definitely been accused of turning everything into a life or death competition but its just in my nature regardless if I have a chance to win or not.

Ive never been the best skill wise at any hobby, but I tend to fair much better than my skills allow because I am a thinker and a game theory aficionado so I prefer more of the "luck" favors the prepared mentality vs gamble.

It's all good though, I am as prepared as I am going to get with my last 3 mile run with this stupid weight vest going down today. As for the burpees, bring it. That's one skill that is right up my alley.

Keep in mind this is the 2nd RnG event in the state of Georgia! The clays might be difficult enough to where most people will not get much of a time reduction. We shall see.....

For the first few RnG events, I recommend treating as a test of readiness of you AND your gear. I see some really strong guys out there shooting like they don't know what their dominant side size because they don't regulate their HR/breathing. There are some that shoot REALLY well but don't want to push the running. At the end of the day, you get what you want out of RnG and often it takes what it wants out of you!

Any constructive feedback is welcome after the event. ROs will have AAR as well. The burpees will suck. Royally.

The mysterious 'box' and 600yd stages will present a significant factor in separating the men (with thorough understanding of weapon manipulation and zero/holdovers) from the boys. Note that multiple stages have a challenging primary phase and a potential make-up phase. Do it right the first time and you will save time and ammo, mess it up and you can still redeem yourself but at the cost of time and ammo. If you think you will be sweating because of the heat, try entering the last stage with a half-mag for your pistol and a few nearly empty mags!

Back
Top Bottom