• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Question for Springfield M1A reloaders

Living2hunt

Default rank <100 posts Supporter
Hunter
30   0
Reaction score
Finally broke down and bought a new Springfield M1A Standard,have been researching different loads and decided on 40 gr of IMR 8208 powder behind a Sierra 168 gr HPBT Match bullet,my problem is what kind of primer ? have been going round in circles with the ''do's and dont's'' of regular sporting rifle primers used in military style semi-autos due to ''slam-fires''. Need some help !

Well, I've used regular old WLR (Winchester Large Rifle) primers with no issues at all... Dad has been doing the same for many years.

The only ones to stay away from are Remington No. 6 1/2 for small rifle semi-autos (I think- will check on the box at home)... the box actually says "do not use in .223" and some other calibers. I realize that's not for M1A's, but it came to mind while I was typing.

Oh- and while everyone loves the 168 SMKs, you should give the 155 grain a try... I get better groups out of the lighter bullet.

I used WLR primers in M1A loads too. Never an issue. Just watch your brass. The M1A is rough as hell on a case. You can experience case head separation much sooner, as in as soon as 3 or 4 loads ain't that unusual on them.

It only took once to get my attention. I started retiring brass after 3 loadings in an M1A. Not exactly a handloaders dream, but they're a pleasure to shoot!

I use CCI and WLR as well . Federal primers are known to be soft . CCI also sells a hard military primer I have yet to try them

I used 38 grains of Varget powder behind the 168 grain BTHP bullets. I primarily used the CCI #34 primers, which are harder primers specially made for military type rifles. I used the word USED (past tense) because I sold off my M1A a while back. I shoot the same load in my L1A1.

Back
Top Bottom