• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question for diesel guys.

Comanche

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
124   0
Reaction score
This may be a really stupid question but I’ve recently acquired a vehicle that runs on diesel.

I just picked up some diesel from a local gas station that most likely sells a lot of diesel as it’s in farm country but I was kinda curious because the fuel hardly has any smell at all.
I always remembered diesel having a very distinct smell but this stuff is freaking me out.

I know that diesel is now low sulfur but I’m not sure if it is so odorless now.

Hoping I didn’t get a jug full of water.

I would have preferred to go to a truck stop
That sells tons of diesel but none nearby.

My wife's car is a diesel but I can't say I've ever really noticed the smell when I fill it up.

You're probably fine.

Okay.
Just checking……I knew the sulphur was drastically reduced just thought it would smell a little stronger from the jug after filling up.

I’ll throw some diesel Stabil in it anyways.
And probably some quality additive for lubricity.

I wouldn’t call low sulphur diesel odorless. Are you sticking your finger in it and smelling it or just expecting fumes from the tank while you are filling to come out?

Okay.
Just checking……I knew the sulphur was drastically reduced just thought it would smell a little stronger from the jug after filling up.

I’ll throw some diesel Stabil in it anyways.
And probably some quality additive for lubricity.
I burn diesel in my f-350 and my tractor. It doesn’t smell as strong to me as it used to either. After 3 bouts with the Fauci flu there are a lot of things that just don’t smell and taste the same as they used to.

There is such a thing as bio-diesel too. I don't use bio-diesel as my truck gets better mileage when I don't.
Here's a link showing you the difference, I bet what you got was bio-diesel.
Are they supposed to label biodiesel on the pump itself?
I looked all over the pump to see if there was a biodiesel label…..there wasn’t.
That’s the only reason i bought it.
I’m gonna call the station and ask them.

Are they supposed to label biodiesel on the pump itself?
I looked all over the pump to see if there was a biodiesel label…..there wasn’t.
That’s the only reason i bought it.
I’m gonna call the station and ask them.
Yes it is supposed to be labeled. Some Walmart's have bio-diesel.

Back
Top Bottom