• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Project Marlin

07JKX

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
106   0
Reaction score
So this won't be a high dollar project, but I would like some tips on cleaning up metal. The rifle looks to have been stored in a case so there is a good bit of surface rust, which very well may be deeper once I get in there. I function checked the rifle so it works and now am ready to move forward with cleanup and a decent restoration. The stock has been kryloned... Albeit a pretty damn good job. I would be tempted to leave the rifle in its better state... But am bored and what else would you do. I have the stock under control as i am going to sand it and give it a nice dark stain. as for the metal... well, never really done much with metal.

Hypothetically...IF... I were to use a paint, what would be the paint to use? Bear in mind, I am not looking to duracoat, ceracoat, hydrodip or other semi-costly refinishing method. I am either going to remove as much rust as possible and do a home cold blue and keep it oiled or remove rust, primer and paint.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Before Shots:
[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Semifinished product. Still need to touch up the receiver and decide what to do with the barrel. Just keeping it well oiled for now.
[Broken External Image]:

Last edited:
I used Brownells Alumahyde II on couple of beater projects. It's about $13 a can, but the hazmat shipping is about the same price, so I ordered 3 different colors to justify it.

Barbaque paint for the barrel. It is high heat just sand use brake cleaner to remove all oil and spray several coats on it. works really well. I have 3 guns that I have done this way. Works on carbon or stainless steel. You don't have to worry about the barrel rusting on the out side anymore. I think it around $5 at Walmart.

Thanks guys... Gun nut,I will look into that. The receiver is pretty scratched up, so a sanding and uniform barrel/receiver color would look nice. Did you bake or otherwise heat treat after you put coats on?

Powder coat would be nice too.

okay the rust was definitely deeper than surface... so I removed it, and polished to smooth it it out. Still some light pitting left though as I did not want to get into the metal that much. Degreased and did a cold blue (2 treatments) over the entire barrel. I may touch it up some more on the rust area to darken that to the rest of the barrel a bit more, but overall it is 10 fold better than it was.

On to the stock... as I pulled all my woodworking tools out and was about to start the paint removal, I noticed a couple cracks. While not structurally serious... I dont think it would be worth the effort to put a nice stain on it especially the time involved to remove the paint from the checkered grip and fore end. So... I sanded, degreased and prepped for paint... just a different color. I have the first 2 coats of desert tan on it and will follow up with two more. The checkered area will either be taped off and done in a textured black (If I leave the barrel blued) or olive drab if I decided to just have the barrel duracoated. We shall see.. I will try to get a few pics uploaded.

First post updated with after pic

Night and day! The blue stock while it didn't look hideous looks sooooo much better with the color scheme you selected. Cold blue does ok and I use it for small parts. Did the blue finish come out pretty even on the barrel?

Back
Top Bottom