• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Private Security Guards Fend Off Somali Pirate Attack

I know a guy who owns a yacht (I have never been on it-don't know him that well.)

He goes all over the Caribbean, and usually starts out from Houston. This guy's yacht is big enough that he hires a crew to man it. He also told me he takes a m-fing ****load of firepower. He says that although you never heard about it on the news, since it is relatively small-time, it is not unusual for some of these yachts to get attacked by pirates (usually Jamaican) who most often steal all the valuables, kill everyone onboard and sink the boat.

He told me that his boat was just sitting out in calm seas one night when the guys on the bridge said they had a probable pirate boat on radar. When it got closer, they could see that it had no lights at all. Sure enough, this thing circled and circled and got slowly closer. He said they all got their weapons out and put the spotlight on the pirates. They made some announcement about their intention to defend themselves on a speaker, and the bad guys took off in a big hurry.

Just something to keep in mind should any of you ever find yourself down that way. Supposedly this is becoming a big problem in the Caribbean. Makes sense to me-the last thing most yacht people would ever think about is what kind of weapons they might need.

Back
Top Bottom