• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

post wshtf communications.

Smoke signals might be a viable option :) ............. this thread got hijacked kind of early..........so back on topic.

We plan to use cellphones landlines as long as those methods are available. Once those fail we switch to CB/SSB and ham radio for our two-way communication. Also have on hand short-wave receiver and two scanners for listening purposes. My wife and kids know to head to the house if I cannot get through to them (via normal means) if SHTF while I am at work. Fortunately the schools and my wife's work are close to home. Both of my sons are in HS......they go to get their sister who attends the middle school next to the high school and head to the house (on foot or via my oldest son's 4wd). From the house they can communicate with me via ham radio.

I'm gonna have to look into a ham radio and cb. just don't know anyting about them. everytime i think i got a handle on things, i have to do 3 weeks of research and figure some other crap out.

Ham is the way to go for sure besides all the bands that ham offer you can also operate them in a simplex mode which allows you to hop freq. at any given time. I only have a tech lics which is not hard to get there are many online study guides. I have the Icom 80ad hand held that has D STAR which allows you to use repeaters

I'm gonna have to look into a ham radio and cb. just don't know anyting about them. everytime i think i got a handle on things, i have to do 3 weeks of research and figure some other crap out.

I am in the same boat.
\
Can anyone explain what ham radio really is? What about SSB? Shortwave?
I understand AM/FM. Cb radios where something i suffered through as my dad played want to be trucker in the seventies as we traveled half way across the country every Christmas. I am still in therapy for those years. but i digress.
I really do need help in this area

Learned the expensive way, do not plan on the 36 or 45 mile Walkie Talkies, they might reach that on water or in the sandbox, but in Ga with a few pines in the way, 4-5 mailes max. & forgetabout valleys & hills, signal stoppers from hell. Carrier Pigeons would be more reliable.

Another thing to consider... I have both HAM and CB radios, but I find that CB is usually mostly useless for anything other than listening to truckers complain about traffic jams, and rednecks playing Dukes of Hazard. The info passed over CB in my experience is suspect at best. I don't know how that situation may change after shtf, but the reality is that HAM is a much more select group of people, and in today's world, when I want real information, I turn to HAM over CB every time. Also, in a WROL situation, I really doubt the FCC will be doing anything at all to crack down on unlicensed ham transmitters, but one thing to consider is the people you will be talking to may be less inclined to share valuable information with you if they suspect you arent "one of them". I know this sounds kinda silly, but it's something to consider. imho, anyone who is serious enough about survival to go buy a ham radio, ought to be serious enough about it to take the test. There really is some good info to be learned, Antenna design and basic radio principles that will really help you use your radio effectively. just my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom