Please Vote - Considering Major Changes for Classifeds

Would charging non-supporters $1 a month to post in the classifieds hurt the site?

• Yes, charging $1 a month would hurt the site and is a bad idea.

Votes: 713 54.5%
  • No, $1 is cheap enough to not lose people over it.

Votes: 596 45.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
But, that is not what the poll is asking.
Whether you think the change would hurt the site or not is not the same thing as whether you agree with the change.

I voted it would hurt the site, but I'd pay to play.

I don't think that you'd get many new people to pay to play a game that they have never played.

Some are literally saying they would never come back to the site over a $10 a YEAR charge for CLASSIFIED use? Wow.

It's a good thing I don't make the decisions because IF it went to a $10 per YEAR charge to use the classifieds, I would go through this thread and insta-ban every single one of the usernames that said they would never come back. I would make it impossible for them not to be a man of their word. It's what they said they would do anyway, I would just be helping them stick with the courage of their convictions.

Maybe it's because I know personally not only what it took to build this site in the beginning but also how hard Okuma Okuma works to keep it going. The changes he has made through the years quite frankly make it one of the best forums I've been on, and I'm on plenty. Name a cleaner forum, with a better feedback system.

From the beginning, minimizing ads was always on his mind and making more money always took a backseat to the form, function and UI of this site. This place could look like ARF which is one of the worst user experiences possible, all for the sake of Okuma Okuma making a small fortune while you suffer through the user experience. He's put your experience of the ODT, and you the member, over his wallet for years now.

This is a highly volatile market and as you can imagine with this type of site there are serious ebbs and flows with the political winds. Quite frankly I'm shocked he waited this long to attempt to generate a steady and more repeatable form of income, especially someone who now has a family.

He texted me to ask me what I thought about implementing this system and while I expected some people to not be happy about it, I never thought I would see people, not against it because of the cost, but because of some weird issue they have with someone turning a profit off of their hard work.

As I read through this thread I couldn't help but get pissed off at some of the responses. I know how much passion I put into this site in the early goings and I can only imagine what it felt like to be Okuma Okuma who has worked 10,000 times harder and longer and has considered this site and you members his labor of love for nearly a decade now. Once again, he's putting the forum first just by merely asking for feedback on this topic and he's getting hammered for even thinking about doing anything other than making sure this site only breaks even.

Not only is that an asanine point of view, given what he has done to create such a great place to come and trade and discuss, it's also extremely ungrateful. For those that think I'm just saying this because I will benefit from a paid system as well, let me stop you there, nothing will change for me. I have just a tiny, tiny share of this site and it's fixed.

Okuma Okuma makes every single decision on his own and in my opinion he has yet to make a misstep. In the places where I would have chosen a different direction for how I thought the site should go, he was the one that was right. He absolutely has a knack for this and if this implemention is on his mind, there is a very good reason for it.

Regardless of what he decides I certainly hope he gets a bit more gratitude for the hard work he puts in. Whether it comes from a fee, or more supporters, whatever amount he does get to provide for himself and his family is more than well deserved.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Some are literally saying they would never come back to the site over a $10 a YEAR charge for CLASSIFIED use? Wow.

It's a good thing I don't make the decisions because IF it went to a $10 per YEAR charge to use the classifieds, I would go through this thread and insta-ban every single one of the usernames that said they would never come back. I would make it impossible for them not to be a man of their word. It's what they said they would do anyway, I would just be helping them stick with the courage of their convictions.

Maybe it's because I know personally not only what it took to build this site in the beginning but also how hard Okuma Okuma works to keep it going. The changes he has made through the years quite frankly make it one of the best forums I've been on, and I'm on plenty. Name a cleaner forum, with a better feedback system.

From the beginning, minimizing ads was always on his mind and making more money always took a backseat to the form, function and UI of this site. This place could look like ARF which is one of the worst user experiences possible, all for the sake of Okuma Okuma making a small fortune while you suffer through the user experience. He's put your experience of the ODT, and you the member, over his wallet for years now.

This is a highly volatile market and as you can imagine with this type of site there are serious ebbs and flows with the political winds. Quite frankly I'm shocked he waited this long to attempt to generate a steady and more repeatable form of income, especially someone who now has a family.

He texted me to ask me what I thought about implementing this system and while I expected some people to not be happy about it, I never thought I would see people, not against it because of the cost, but because of some weird issue they have with someone turning a profit off of their hard work.

As I read through this thread I couldn't help but get pissed off at some of the responses. I know how much passion I put into this site in the early goings and I can only imagine what it felt like to be Okuma Okuma who has worked 10,000 times harder and longer and has considered this site and you members his labor of love for nearly a decade now. Once again, he's putting the forum first just by merely asking for feedback on this topic and he's getting hammered for even thinking about doing anything other than making sure this site only breaks even.

Not only is that an asanine point of view, given what he has done to create such a great place to come and trade and discuss, it's also extremely ungrateful. For those that think I'm just saying this because I will benefit from a paid system as well, let me stop you there, nothing will change for me. I have just a tiny, tiny share of this site and it's fixed.

Okuma Okuma makes every single decision on his own and in my opinion he has yet to make a misstep. In the places where I would have chosen a different direction for how I thought the site should go, he was the one that was right. He absolutely has a knack for this and if this implemention is on his mind, there is a very good reason for it.

Regardless of what he decides I certainly hope he gets a bit more gratitude for the hard work he puts in. Whether it comes from a fee, or more supporters, whatever amount he does get to provide for himself and his family is more than well deserved.

Well stated.

It's just in some folks nature...to be ungrateful.

HEAR HEAR!!!!!

There's always that guy at the barbecue who doesn't bring anything nor does he contribute any money but yet feels entitled to get two hot dogs and two hamburgers to fill up his plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom