• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Please Vote - Considering Major Changes for Classifeds

Would charging non-supporters $1 a month to post in the classifieds hurt the site?

• Yes, charging $1 a month would hurt the site and is a bad idea.

Votes: 713 54.5%
  • No, $1 is cheap enough to not lose people over it.

Votes: 596 45.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts are that the idea itself is not bad, but implementing will have adverse consequences.

Traffic is what drives any internet site. I think that I represent a very large portion of the ODT "audience" in that I like to browser most of the "for sale" forums, just to see what is there. The array of stuff for sale is its own entertainment. I have purchased stuff that I didn't even know I wanted.

I am always surprised at the number of people who have been members for years who have never sold (or bought) anything. I suggest that they by and large can be included in the browsers.

My opinion is that if this policy is implemented, the various gun forums will become dominated by dealers, and the few "deals" there now will be a thing of the past. The diversity of the ads will decrease as the dealers focus more on the fast moving, low cost guns.

Ebay presents an example. "Back in the day" it was a true auction site, where you could find obscure parts and goods sold by individuals cleaning out their closets, or trying to make a few bucks on the side. Now it is just another internet storefront, catering to dealers who supply pages and pages of ads for stuff that is mostly sold at retail. I'm not sure that "auctions" even exist on Ebay any more. This storefront model is where I see ODT going. It's a dilemma -it may be the more financially viable model, but I firmly believe that it will drive traffic away.

Just resisted my $625 Glock while there is all this activity. :)

I will admit that when I first came to this site it was to quickly sell off a couple rifles. I had no skin in the game; it was simply a site to list some firearms with a dedicated group interested in guns. That lack of understanding/appreciation of the site cost me a negative, but I quickly learned the value of the site. I have meet some really great people here. I find value in the site and therefore it was a no-brainer to become a site supporter. Back then, had there been a charge of $1 to “join for a month” I would have paid. I think the main issue is moving from Free to a Fee. It may alienate a few, but I do think you will get new members and I also think the few that are alienated will soon have withdrawals and will be back for a hit.

I have no problem with the proposed change.

:tape2::tape2::tape2::tape2: dont have a supporter badge

I skipped all the way to the end after reading only a few give it to me free Democrat remarks. WHY is anyone NOT a supporter?

Thank you for a great site. I say charge a fee = to a supporter fee for a non supporter to post their first ad then give it to them for free from that point on. They thrive and live for free, CRISIS AVERTED.

Mods should follow the troublemakers around and actively monitor them.
Being a supporter should not be seen as license to be a jerk without consequence.

On the other side of the coin, being a mod should not be seen as a chance to be a jerk without consequences. We, lifetime supporters, should have to vote them in and also be able to vote them out.

Posting a popcorn smiley isn’t troublemaking, it’s showing that you are there for the show that’s sure to ensue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom