• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pistol Mounted Optics Discussion Thread

I ordered two more Steiner MPS, going to move to them exclusively.
Never tried a MPS as of yet but have read up on em a bit. Quite a few reviews I have seen indicate the battery life is abysmal (90 to 120 days). Have you had any such experience? I have several dots on handguns, but all of mine thus far are open emitters. Was looking for a solid closed emitter to try, but haven't decided on one as of yet.

Never tried a MPS as of yet but have read up on em a bit. Quite a few reviews I have seen indicate the battery life is abysmal (90 to 120 days). Have you had any such experience? I have several dots on handguns, but all of mine thus far are open emitters. Was looking for a solid closed emitter to try, but haven't decided on one as of yet.
Battery life is below:

Level 1 = NVG 1
Level 2 = NVG 2
Level 3 = Day 1 ≈ 165,000 hours ≈ 20 years
Level 4 = Day 2 ≈ 50,000 hours ≈ 5 1/2 years
Level 5 = Day 3 ≈ 13,000 hour ≈ 1 1/2 years
Level 6 = Day 4 ≈ 3,000 hours ≈ 125 days
Level 7 = Day 5 ≈ 800 hours ≈ 1 month
Level 8 = Day 6 ≈ 250 hours ≈ 10 days

I run it with the auto-shut off locked out, which eliminates level 8.
Level 7 is all you would ever need even in bright light. I use 6 or 5 sometimes as well. Since my MPS's reside over the top of LPVO's in two instances, I leave them off until I am using the weapon system (one is a comp gun, one is a truck/HD gun) On my pistol, it resides on my MOSTLY comp gun, so again, I leave it off until match day.

If I was carrying on an EDC, I would have to decide if I want to change the battery that often. I prefer optical quality and durability to long battery life and blue tint or distortion. You have to decide which trade-offs you are willing to make. As long as I know to change my battery every quarter and I will be ok...I am fine with that.

Battery life is below:

Level 1 = NVG 1
Level 2 = NVG 2
Level 3 = Day 1 ≈ 165,000 hours ≈ 20 years
Level 4 = Day 2 ≈ 50,000 hours ≈ 5 1/2 years
Level 5 = Day 3 ≈ 13,000 hour ≈ 1 1/2 years
Level 6 = Day 4 ≈ 3,000 hours ≈ 125 days
Level 7 = Day 5 ≈ 800 hours ≈ 1 month
Level 8 = Day 6 ≈ 250 hours ≈ 10 days

I run it with the auto-shut off locked out, which eliminates level 8.
Level 7 is all you would ever need even in bright light. I use 6 or 5 sometimes as well. Since my MPS's reside over the top of LPVO's in two instances, I leave them off until I am using the weapon system (one is a comp gun, one is a truck/HD gun) On my pistol, it resides on my MOSTLY comp gun, so again, I leave it off until match day.

If I was carrying on an EDC, I would have to decide if I want to change the battery that often. I prefer optical quality and durability to long battery life and blue tint or distortion. You have to decide which trade-offs you are willing to make. As long as I know to change my battery every quarter and I will be ok...I am fine with that.
Understand, I appreciate the info. Looking at various optics for duty use and concealed carry as well. Am relatively new to dots on pistols, so trying to get all of the 1st hand info I can before dropping cash on kit. Thx B.

Only closed emitter I've got experience with that isn't a T2 is the RCR. Haven't had any issues with it's mounting method so far, knock on wood. I'm really digging it.

Only closed emitter I've got experience with that isn't a T2 is the RCR. Haven't had any issues with it's mounting method so far, knock on wood. I'm really digging it.
I have seen the RCR, Acro P2, and 509T a few times at the range, but I was teaching and never got the chance to try any of them out. I have always been a Trijicon fan, but generally stay away from RMRs because of the bottom load battery, even though the optics are solid.

My starter set….
IMG_1418.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom