• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Pickles.....

You don't have to pressure can when pickling because of the high acid from the vinegar. Sounds like you did pretty much everything right. The only other thing other than what I mentioned earlier is using distilled water instead of tap. We usually have good success doing it that way.

I have received a few tips and it looks like I should of put the jars in a water bath and not pressure cooked them....

I am not sure about the non-pressure cooking.... I thought that is the way you seal the lids....
I did use pickling cucumbers.... I grew them myself.... The plants were labelled..... They were not too big... no bigger than the store bought ones....
I did not use pickle crisp, but I did use some vinegar.....
I am not familiar with "alum water"....

I have made pickles by just putting brine and cucumbers in jars and then refrigerating for 6wks.... but these have to remain refrigerated....

Look up sour pickles. Fermented instead of pickled. Loads of beneficial probiotics.

dont pressure cook them. use only fresh young pickling cucs. the jars will seal from the cooling of the boiling vinegar .Ball Calcium Chloride Pickle Crisp if you want extra crisp pickles. get it at wally world in the canning section. and never use table salt. only kosher salt.

dont pressure cook them. use only fresh young pickling cucs. the jars will seal from the cooling of the boiling vinegar .Ball Calcium Chloride Pickle Crisp if you want extra crisp pickles. get it at wally world in the canning section. and never use table salt. only kosher salt.

thanks... I like them crisp... I wasn't aware of "pickle crisp". Thanks

Also, cool your pickling liquid before pouring in the jar. This helps keep from cooking the cucumbers. I make hot bread and butter pickles. Buy the bread and butter mix and follow the instructions but add a few tablespoons of crushed red pepper flakes to each jar. Sweet and spicy.

I was wondering about letting the brine cool.... next time... I'll let you know in 5-6 weeks how they turned out.....
Pickles (1).jpg
Pickles (2).jpg
Pickles (3).jpg
Pickles (4).jpg
Pickles (5).jpg

Back
Top Bottom