• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Pickles.....

darrenmd

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
I am looking for a little help canning pickles. I made a batch.... put them in the cabinet for 6 weeks.... opened up a jar.... took a big bite out of one.... the flavor was there... but the texture was what I think it would be like to bite into a 1/4 pound caterpillar....

Apparently I did something wrong.... Boiled the brine, poured it into the jars of cucumbers.... put the lid on... repeated this for a few jars...put them in the pressure cooker.... boiled them.... the thing on top was whistling and shaking....took them out and stored them....

Let me know where I went wrong....

I am looking for a little help canning pickles. I made a batch.... put them in the cabinet for 6 weeks.... opened up a jar.... took a big bite out of one.... the flavor was there... but the texture was what I think it would be like to bite into a 1/4 pound caterpillar....

Apparently I did something wrong.... Boiled the brine, poured it into the jars of cucumbers.... put the lid on... repeated this for a few jars...put them in the pressure cooker.... boiled them.... the thing on top was whistling and shaking....took them out and stored them....

Let me know where I went wrong....
did you let them sit in alum water ,,and my pops is saying that you don't wanna use real big cucumbers ..for they may get soft ...

I am not sure about the non-pressure cooking.... I thought that is the way you seal the lids....
I did use pickling cucumbers.... I grew them myself.... The plants were labelled..... They were not too big... no bigger than the store bought ones....
I did not use pickle crisp, but I did use some vinegar.....
I am not familiar with "alum water"....

I have made pickles by just putting brine and cucumbers in jars and then refrigerating for 6wks.... but these have to remain refrigerated....

You don't have to pressure can when pickling because of the high acid from the vinegar. Sounds like you did pretty much everything right. The only other thing other than what I mentioned earlier is using distilled water instead of tap. We usually have good success doing it that way.

Back
Top Bottom