• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Oysters

Best/worst deal on oysters.....

Best: Whole Foods in San Mateo used to offer (2008) a tray of 12 or 24 shucked Kumamoto oysters with all the trimmings, on ice, covered in plastic wrap for pickup in their seafood dept. for $12 or $20, depending on quantity. Fantastic deal.

Worst: Chicago Lincoln Park (2005) allegedly the best fish monger in the city, bought a bushel for Margaret's mom's 95th birthday party. I had sold a Faberge cigar lamp and used the money to lay out a spread, a tin of Beluga caviar, two cases of Dom Perignon 1996, and a bushel of fresh oysters which I planned to shuck the evening of the party, just before the guests arrived. Had a big ice sculpture of the number "95" delivered to the house with a large tray full of crushed ice ready for the oysters. Put out all the sterling dishes, water pitchers, goblets, flatware, etc., I mean we really pulled out all the stops.

As I was shucking the damned oysters (and folks were arriving and being served cocktails, I was getting more and pissed by the minute as about HALF of the damned things had some type of parasitic crab (pea crabs) in them. I know, I know, you can eat them, AND they are supposed to be a sign of good luck, but there ain't no Gottdamned way in hell I'm putting those out for guests and I was personally repulsed, good luck be damned.

The ice display was "sparse" in the oyster area and the fish monger closed, so there wasn't much I could about it.
Great start to a movie lol. Never heard of the lucky crabs? Hope the rest of the party went well.

"Pea Crabs" a soft shelled parasitic crab found in mussels and oysters. The party was a huge success.

Margie (the birthday girl) was raised with finer things and I think she appreciated the trouble we went to.

The funniest part of the party was when I told Margie conspiratorially, "Don't eat the caviar in the dish in front with the Beluga tin cover standing up, eat the caviar from the tin in the ice behind the ice sculpture, it's hard to see." Margaret's sisters and guests were raving about the caviar with the Beluga lid, scooping up huge, heaping spoonfuls with the mother of pearl spoons and shoveling it into their gobs, LOL. I knew those liberal Philistines wouldn't appreciate good caviar so I hid the good stuff. They were shoveling American Paddlefish caviar into their mouths. Margie and Margaret and myself were the only ones the wiser. It was our little private joke.

"Pea Crabs" a soft shelled parasitic crab found in mussels and oysters. The party was a huge success.

Margie (the birthday girl) was raised with finer things and I think she appreciated the trouble we went to.

The funniest part of the party was when I told Margie conspiratorially, "Don't eat the caviar in the dish in front with the Beluga tin cover standing up, eat the caviar from the tin in the ice behind the ice sculpture, it's hard to see." Margaret's sisters and guests were raving about the caviar with the Beluga lid, scooping up huge, heaping spoonfuls with the mother of pearl spoons and shoveling it into their gobs, LOL. I knew those liberal Philistines wouldn't appreciate good caviar so I hid the good stuff. They were shoveling American Paddlefish caviar into their mouths. Margie and Margaret and myself were the only ones the wiser. It was our little private joke.
Never tried caviar… imagine that lol. I did try rack of Elk at Fire Fly in PCB while we were there and it was killer; not as good as the SheCrab Soup though, Man I would drive down there just for that soup . The Van Halen sushi roll was the bomb too. A “Got To” when in PCB.

Lots of the oysters last night had the pea crabs. Nothing wrong with them. Just remove the crab and it's good to go. I know you can eat the crab but it's not my favorite so I just get it out of the way and enjoy the oyster. I was surprised by the flavor of the oysters. Usually VA oysters are a bit larger but have less flavor. These were good sized and had really good flavor. They had some NC farmed oysters. They were a bit pricey. I'll probably try some next time I go. Ga finally has begun establishing oyster farming leases. I'm looking forward to some of them being available soon. The ones getting harvested now are all going to restaurants. Sapelo Sea Farms has a bunch of clam leases out in the sound. I buy fresh from them throughout the year. Steamed clams in garlic butter sauce is pretty darn good.

Back
Top Bottom