• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Opinions on Kahr handguns?

initspokits

Default rank <50 posts Supporter
vampire hunter hunter
3   0
Reaction score
I recently traded my Ruger LCP for a Kahr CW380. I did 0 research on the brand or gun beforehand, just saw it, shot it, and loved how it felt and looked. I've since put about 300 rounds through it and here are my observations:

The sights are so much better, there is less felt recoil, and has the same capacity while being slightly smaller than the LCP. The only downside I've experienced so far is that it will not feed Fiocchi ammo (all other brands feed flawlessly) and the first round must be chambered using the slide release rather than slingshotting the slide.

However, since I've gotten the CW380, most people I speak to about it have only negative comments and many suggest that I get rid of it ASAP like it's some volatile old Saturday Night Special. I'm feeling a bit conflicted about this and am looking for some informed opinions on this model, Kahr in general, and some alternative suggestions for pocket pistols (I've got a Sig P365XL and G19 so please no recommendations for WB carry options).

Let me know what you think!

yeah I will echo the sentiments of the others. They don't run really well for long. I have owned a few and no longer own any, nor will I buy one again.

they have been outclassed by modern stuff as well. A sig 365 in 380 weighs just a few ounces more but comes in at almost twice the capacity, optics ready, and still fits well in a pocket. Up that to 9mm and you have a more potent gun with options for 10, 12, 14, 15, 17 round reloads again with the optics ready, night sights, etc.

If it makes you happy, go nuts. But there are a lot of people that have owned Kahr and no longer do. I've carried both a 9mm and 45 version in the past, both had issues, both are gone for good.

I've owned 5(K9, T9, PM9, CM9 and CM40) and not had a single issue out of any and they were all used pistols. I carry the PM9 daily and the CM40 when I'm hiking. I'm a big fan of single stack pistols. From my experience they're great pistols.
I've heard people complain about issues but I've not experienced any in the 13 years I've owned Kahr's.
Get online and you can find people that've had issues with every type of firearm ever made
Polish the feed ramp and clean the mags, that should fix the feeding issue. I sometimes have to bump the back the back of the slide to chamber the first round dependent on ammo(Hornandy). I had to do that with every XDs and a Shield as well.
I have a Hellcat, Shield Plus and getting a 365 tomorrow. They're nice but not as comfortable for edc'ing hours on end as a single stack especially when it's hot outside.
Kahr's rock

Owned several 380's and 9's of the Kahr brand. Never any issues, just moved to the double stack pocket variety of Ruger, Sig and Springfield.

The felt recoil was always less on the heavier Kahr than the polymer single stacks.

My Brother bought a Kahr CW380 after he saw how easily I carried my little kel-Tec P3AT.

But he paid $400 for the gun $250 for a laser sight and then another $200 for tritium night sights.

Ammo-- he knew before he bought the gun that it was going to be picky about brands of ammo. He accepts that and is willing to feed it only what it eats reliably.

He's had this gun about four years now but only taking it to the range twice.

I think it's better than my Kel-Tec but my gun is a better value for the money.

I have had the same Kahr cw9 for 10+ years now and have diffently carried the hell out of it.
On my last trip to the range it preformed horribly on my reloads requiring double and tripple fires. (As i know now my press got out of whack and my Oal was to long and not letting the slide close completely.)

Yes there are better double stacks now but my cw9 has been my goto for years. Now it depends on what i am doing. Physical labor cw9, more dressy running errands 43x

I often think of the cw9 as a flat revolver! Long trigger and reset with a few extra rounds.

Back
Top Bottom