Opinion on vehicle age vs mileage

I can believe that. Even GM can screw up and build a couple of good trucks a year. Please don't accuse me of being anti GM, all makes and models have systematic problems. Even the great Toyota trucks have had issues in the past.

At 185,000 miles a Chevy transmission would have gone out at least twice. They have yet to update the sun shell in the transmission. What should be a one piece unit is a pressed together unit. It holds the entire weight of the truck on splines that are about 1/8 deep and less than a quarter inch long. It is a piss poor design that should have never made it to a production unit.

Not really. I got 190k out of original Yukon tranny and now sitting at 313k on the rebuilt. But the tranny is def the weakest link in an other wise solid drivetrain.

Transmissions are nothing that some money won't fix, they do it every day.

Call around or take the vehicle to a tranny shop and see what an overhaul costs. If it is a screaming deal with the new tranny, buy it. If no real advantage, get something with lower miles.

It may not need a tranny, but buy it with an overhaul in mind.

Got a 99 Honda CR-V with 275,000 and 2011 f150 with 247,000 both still going strong with only service every 5000 miles and tires and brakes about every 40,000 . The truck will use a quart of oil between changing and Honda doesn’t use any ! I’ve had both since new !

How many miles when yours went out?

one out and the newer rebuilt GM transmissions seek to hold up better.

I have bad luck with the 4l60E and the 4T65E and 8L90 . Lot of issues even under 100k miles, usually solenoids and value bodies. if you do all the internal upgrades when you rebuild it with a shift kit it will help it a LOT. Also keep the fluid changed like I did (still didn't help before upgrades).

Also the new 8 speeds are bad, mine started having issues under 100 miles. Yes you read that 100 miles. Lawsuits and multiple "recalls" and TSB's, and last heard their still having the issues. (remember the 8 speed came out to replace the 6 speed, cause they had issues out of the 6 speeds too lol)

Compare that with the issues you hear from the 2nd gen Tundra six speeds, I'm sure they go out like any part, but its a lot lower % rate than GM. (yes I understand they dont' sell 600-800k tundras a year)

The OP didn't mention the brand of truck, so who knows if any of this is applicable or not.

I think if you go to the 2500 or F250 you get beefier transmission components, and if you service them and don't overload them they will hold up better IMHO.

In addition to transmission, in all the Chevy trucks I been in and drove the brakes seem very "sad" for a truck. I can't imagine with a load, trailer or bigger tires than stock. This is in the older trucks as well as 2017+.

I been a GM man for 20+ years, but finally realized their quality has dropped so low, in so many areas..... I'm not a Chevy basher and have owned and driven many GM vehicles, just base don my experience I can't recommend one.

Back
Top Bottom