• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

One and Done Hunting Rifle

This is what I would do. If it’s one and done I recommend the following:

Custom action: defiance, zermatt, kelbly, impact, BAT, etc

Manners CS Elite fill with mini chassis

22 inch sendero or light varmint contour in fast twist 6.5CM, .308 family of cartridges, or .30-06

Threaded for a brake or can

Timney, jewel, or trigger tech

Harris Bipod

Qaulity scope like upper end bushnells, NF, upper end vortex like the LHT, S&B, Etc….

View attachment 3910491

Doubles as a boat anchor for those coastal hunting trips.

I have dropped bucks with Ruger model 77 in 243 and 30-06. The distance was 75 -100 yrds both times. A well placed shot dropped each buck where they stood, no running, no second shot and no tracking down a wounded animal. I believe shot placement to be more important than caliber. Still have those two rifles even though I have not been hunting in years. Good luck with choice.

9.3x62 would be the clambering amd right now, I'd buy it in a sauer 100.

The round WILL take anything in the world, has already don't so, can be loaded from 232gr. Norma soft points at 2700fps to 320gr woodleigh solids at 2200fps. With 250gr or 296 gr Barnes, it will drop cape Buffalo with a single shot, same for a Kodiak.

Due to the lower velocity in 286 grain, the damage to meat is reported to be less all the quite dumping around 3800 ftlbs at 100 yards.

Using 250gr accubond loaded to around 2550 fps, that round will stay supersonic to 1200 yards

Recoil is like 30'06, it is like 90% of the 375h&h with one more round in the magazine and notably less recoil.

That would be my one amd done hunting caliber. It covers all game animal sizes, and any reasonable range with decisive energy it to 300 yards for anything big.

What in the heck does a traditional hunting stock do for you besides be more uncomfortable and less accurate? Traditional hunting stocks are basically for looks only at this point, especially now that we have some crazy light chassis options out there.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Just let him pretend to be a German professional hunter hunting African plains game.

You can get those rifles super light. The CS is light, do like a defiance Anti or a bat aluminum action, carbon fiber barrel, and a LHT. You can be all in for like 8.5 - 10 lbs.

Everyone has different opinions about what's "too heavy." That definitely qualifies as too heavy in my book.

Everyone has different opinions about what's "too heavy." That definitely qualifies as too heavy in my book.

Well damn…didn’t think of it like that. What do you consider lightweight? 90% of my rifles are 13+ so when I take my standard 700 ADL out it’s like I’m carrying a feather. Lol

Well damn…didn’t think of it like that. What do you consider lightweight? 90% of my rifles are 13+ so when I take my standard 700 ADL out it’s like I’m carrying a feather. Lol
Depends on the cartridge but I don't think I own any field gun that weighs over 10#.
Chuck over analyzes it but his points are defensible. https://chuckhawks.com/rifle_weight.htm

Once a rifle goes north of 8lbs, I'm more likely to feel like I'm lugging it.

It's very subjective; the older I get, the heavier a rifle seems to get. A couple of decades ago, when I was a novice shooter, I was more sensitive to recoil. Now, I barely notice it, even in modestly hard kicking calibers, so I lean toward lighter rifles.

Back
Top Bottom