• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Odd mag issue with Bergara HMR.

drewga11

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
66   0
Reaction score
Any HMR owners here ever had your magazine fall out when you fire? Repeatedly? Any idea what could be causing it?

So I took my new to me Bergara Wilderness HMR out to CMP today. Put a little over 200 rounds through it. All was fine and operating as expected til about the last 20 rounds. All of a sudden, every time I would fire a round, the mag would drop out of the gun. I noticed my groups seemed to be opening up a bit too, but that could have just been me after shooting all day. After about 20 rounds of this happening every single time, I got too mad to continue and put it away.

I could not make the mag drop or pull it free after reinserting it, but as soon as I pulled the trigger on a live round, it falls right out.

I think I may have a clue as to what could be causing it, but wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue or might know more about what is going on than I do.

My guess is the mag release spring is buggered or has trash in the mag catch itself. Under recoil its enough to move the mag release or the mag catch is worn on your mag.

Did you try multiple mags or just 1?
I only have the one at the moment. Just bought the rifle off here recently. Mag catch seems to have good tension and the guy I got it from claims to have only fired a few rounds through it. So it supposedly has seen very little use until today.

Look over the mag really well, make sure the mag catch isn't chipped, cracked, broken or ground down. Look in magwell, make sure the catch isn't ground down or has trash preventing its full travel to engage the mag catch. Assuming those are good, get a new mag and see if problem persists. It takes AICS mags so I would say get a metal one without the binder plate but if magpul is your thing, you do you. Only other thing I got is check to see if there is excessive slop between the mag and magwell. Do this with a empty and full mag. Maybe the loaded rounds are changing the geometry of the mag which while improbable, isn't impossible.

There does seem to be a little too much movement possible with an empty mag inserted. However, there seems to be too much movement in my opinion between the stock and the barrel/action. It seems as though the stock might be kinda loose.

The magazine itself looks fine and the mag catch/release seems normal. Cannot pull mag free by hand. I guess I may have to order another mag to try, I can't seem to find one locally.

There does seem to be a little too much movement possible with an empty mag inserted. However, there seems to be too much movement in my opinion between the stock and the barrel/action. It seems as though the stock might be kinda loose.

The magazine itself looks fine and the mag catch/release seems normal. Cannot pull mag free by hand. I guess I may have to order another mag to try, I can't seem to find one locally.

Any AICS-pattern magazine made for the appropriate caliber will work. Doesn't have to be a Bergara magazine. Many companies, like Magpul, Accuracy International, Ruger, and Alpha Mag make them. They're available in steel and polymer.

We carry Bergara, Magpul, and other brands of that magazine at TruPrep in Marietta. I can also check out what you've got, and check the torque on your action screws.

Back
Top Bottom