• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

OAL question....

drewga11

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
66   0
Reaction score
So I got into reloading for .45 recently, worked up some good loads I like using 230 gr round nose bullets, and everything was happy, happy, happy. Then I couldn't find any more 230 gr RN, but did find 1500 plated SWC, 1000 of which are 200gr and the other 500 are 185gr. Finally, tested my loads with these 2 bullets today. The 200gr over 3.6gr of Bullseye performed excellently, no issues whatsoever. The 185gr over 3.5gr of Bullseye, which is the minimum starting load in the Lyman manual, wasn't so great. Every couple rounds, I'd have one not eject completely. It would get hung up in the ejection port. I'm sure I could fix the issue by upping the charge a couple of tenths of a grain. My question is, if I loaded them too long could that be the reason they are not cycling the gun hard enough to eject completely or is it simply an issue of too little powder? The exact load I'm using is Federal brass, CCI #300 LP primers, 3.5 grains of Bullseye, Berry's 185 gr plated SWC, OAL of 1.200". The manuals I have say 1.135" minimum OAL for that load, but may need to load longer for reliable feeding. So, will loading them a little shorter increase the pressure enough to fix the ejection issue or do I need to just go ahead and bump the powder charge up a little bit?

If I was happy with the OAL that you have I would just up the charge slightly. Plated bullets act like hard lead cast and like a little push to expand properly. When I load my SWC I like to leave just a little bit of the flat side exposed before the taper to ensure it feeds well.

I've never loaded 45, but I can't imagine seating depth effecting pressure at all on a minimum load. Since you're at the bottom, stepping up the charge weight won't hurt a thing. That's where I would start. Some SWC bullets need the die run in a little more because of where the bullet contacts the seater, so you might need to do that too

If I was happy with the OAL that you have I would just up the charge slightly. Plated bullets act like hard lead cast and like a little push to expand properly. When I load my SWC I like to leave just a little bit of the flat side exposed before the taper to ensure it feeds well.

I've never loaded 45, but I can't imagine seating depth effecting pressure at all on a minimum load. Since you're at the bottom, stepping up the charge weight won't hurt a thing. That's where I would start. Some SWC bullets need the die run in a little more because of where the bullet contacts the seater, so you might need to do that too

Both Solid advice, ensure the seating is correct, then start GENTLY increasing your powder load

I would increase your powder charge. You stated that you loaded 3.5 gr behind a 200gr bullet. So naturally you would need more powder to push a lighter bullet. Also if some of the 185's did cycle the gun and they all fed reliably then your OAL is good to go. I believe you stated that your jams occurred when the rounds wouldn't cycle the gun. If so the bullet is already out of the barrel at that point. So it can't be an OAL issue. A previous poster also stated that at minimum charge weights it is highly unlikely that seating depth would affect pressure to the point that it could cause a malf.

You stated that you loaded 3.5 gr behind a 200gr bullet. So naturally you would need more powder to push a lighter bullet.

Actually, stated 3.6 gr behind 200gr bullet. But your statement here doesn't make sense to me. Are you sure that's correct? Why would you need more powder to push a 185 than you need to push a 200?

Thanks for all the replies. My first thought was up the charge slightly. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong with OAL, since I couldn't find very much info on how it affects things.

That's flawed logic. I NEVER try to correlate change in bullet weight to powder charge. About the only thing you can assume is that a near max powder charge with a given bullet is safe with a lighter bullet of the same type

Thanks for all the replies. My first thought was up the charge slightly. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong with OAL, since I couldn't find very much info on how it affects things.

You picked a fairly forgiving cartridge in the 45 ACP. The low operation pressure of the round lends itself very well for beginners to learn load development. Just remember to work with one varible at a time.

Back
Top Bottom