• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Noob I want to make the leap for shooting targets to shooting Hog and Yotes

You can certainly hunt squirrels with the conversion. Actually you can with the air rifle but you're in for a world of frustration hunting in real woods with one. Those squirrels are NOTHING like the ones in your backyard. ;)
I hunt in Banks county. Maybe we could go tromp around Redlands or Clybel. Squirrel season actually starts the middle of next month. I generally don't hunt them until after a hard frost though. They get a parasite called 'wolves' and while supposedly OK to eat, if you google the pics.... uh.... "no thanks!"

You can certainly hunt squirrels with the conversion. Actually you can with the air rifle but you're in for a world of frustration hunting in real woods with one. Those squirrels are NOTHING like the ones in your backyard. ;)
I hunt in Banks county. Maybe we could go tromp around Redlands or Clybel. Squirrel season actually starts the middle of next month. I generally don't hunt them until after a hard frost though. They get a parasite called 'wolves' and while supposedly OK to eat, if you google the pics.... uh.... "no thanks!"

I will get started on the reading and get the safety course completed. What is the terrain like at Clybel and how much walking is involved? Clybel would be good with me. I will get in contact with you later in the season and see if we can make it happen.

I can hardly wait, t
hank you for the offer

A squirrel can get outside the range of a .410 just by climbing a tall tree. A 20, 16, or 12 gauge with a load of sixes through a modified or full choke is about right. Most people start the season with a shotgun and switch to a .22 after the leaves fall. Squirrels tend to stay up in the canopy until the leaves thin out.

I will get started on the reading and get the safety course completed. What is the terrain like at Clybel and how much walking is involved? Clybel would be good with me. I will get in contact with you later in the season and see if we can make it happen.

I can hardly wait, t
hank you for the offer

With about 6,400 acres, Clybel has anything/everything you could want in the way of terrain. You can walk as much or as little as you want but if you don't walk a few miles, even with extensive driving, you're probably not going to have much luck. Keep in touch.

Started an online course at beasafehunter.com this week. Yesterday I was at Academy Sports and looked at a .410 they had for $125. Decided I would start with my Henry US Survival .22 and see how it goes. If i still continue in my new found stress reliever I will get a shotgun later and upgrade to a Henry .22 lever. Glad I didn't by the .410 after reading your post howl, thanks.

I can walk good distances with short breaks in between. I usually cover about 3-5 miles per day total, recorded on a pedometer, don't know how accurate it is tho.

Thanks for the education gents

e

Back
Top Bottom