• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Noob I want to make the leap for shooting targets to shooting Hog and Yotes

tazfxrp

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
30   0
Reaction score
I guess I came for a long line of gatherers, I have never gone hunting. Hiking and camping is in my blood and I love being in the woods. I have a Bushmaster .223 5.56 and a Parker Bushwacker crossbow. What I'm looking for are mentors, guides and coaches to help me get started in the right direction. I live in Locust Grove and work Monroe. I shoot at Trading Place in Monroe, Blake, Justin and Larry would vouch for me. Tell them Eric the bald guy with the black German Shepherd named Sgt Schultz. This was not do to military service If your interested in helping me with this, I would really appreciate it and pass it on to the other physically challenged people that I know or meet through the company I work for. I require no special equipment that I know of and can walk/hike for pretty long distances. I would be glad to fill you in on this just don't really like to broadcast my physical challenges.

you can hit me up here
or 678-two eight three-7597
efreilich121@gmail.com

Thanks for taking to time to read through this
Eric

Your going to love hunting! Looks like you have the equipment you need. From my experiences you just need to be in the right place at the right time. Scent control is important. Find a ideal hunting location and sit and wait...

Join a club, sit around the fire and listen. Hunting is a challenge, gaining info on how, where, when and with what all take time. Read, watch, and listen. Since you are new stay away from WMA's. Join a club and learn. It has been a passion for me for 55 yrs and now I am very limited..Good luck with your quest and enjoy. I have just my 2 cents Oh and one other thing, Respect what you take use it don't waste and most of all one shot one kill.

Join a club, sit around the fire and listen. Hunting is a challenge, gaining info on how, where, when and with what all take time. Read, watch, and listen. Since you are new stay away from WMA's. Join a club and learn. It has been a passion for me for 55 yrs and now I am very limited..Good luck with your quest and enjoy. I have just my 2 cents Oh and one other thing, Respect what you take use it don't waste and most of all one shot one kill.

Good advice here. My addition is; you will greatly appreciate having someone experienced with you when you've got to dress your first kill.
I know it will probably get me flamed, but I will say that starting hunting with .223 (or arrows/bolts) is not the best way. These will kill, but leave less room for error than some of the old-standby calibers.

If you join a club you could very likely get a chance to use someone's "backup" in .270, 7mm, 30-30 or 30-06.

If you must start with a "22" go with someone else who can help calm the buck fever that you will get, and help you decide if you really have the shot.

edit - I apologize I reread the OP. Maybe starting with Coyotes is a good choice for a "223" hunter.

Last edited:
No better teacher for a noob than squirrels. If you get to where you can consistently take several sq. in a hunt you will have developed your woodsmanship enough to be well on your way with other game. I can get you started, but you're gonna need a shotgun.

Good advice here. My addition is; you will greatly appreciate having someone experienced with you when you've got to dress your first kill.
I know it will probably get me flamed, but I will say that starting hunting with .223 (or arrows/bolts) is not the best way. These will kill, but leave less room for error than some of the old-standby calibers.

If you join a club you could very likely get a chance to use someone's "backup" in .270, 7mm, 30-30 or 30-06.

If you must start with a "22" go with someone else who can help calm the buck fever that you will get, and help you decide if you really have the shot.

edit - I apologize I reread the OP. Maybe starting with Coyotes is a good choice for a "223" hunter.

Having someone experienced with is a must, I'm sure I will find the hardest possible way if I was to try it myself. Have a coworker coming to the office I'm at tomorrow, he is a hunter. Went to Canada last year with my boss, year before it was Alaska. He hunts both bow and rifle and is bringing his crossbow so he can educate me as much as can be done in a 1 hour lunch. I have a target set up right outside the back door. I'm lucky that the owner of the company is a sportsman and lets me shoot bow right out back. We used to shoot hand guns and long guns till a neighbor got nervous. I'll look for a local club and open my ears and shut my mouth.

thanks for the knowledge

- - - Updated - - -

No better teacher for a noob than squirrels. If you get to where you can consistently take several sq. in a hunt you will have developed your woodsmanship enough to be well on your way with other game. I can get you started, but you're gonna need a shotgun.

I don't have any funds for a shotgun now, I guessing a .410 is needed? I'll ask around at work and see if someone has one they can loan me. I have been looking for .410 ammo for a coworkers grandson and haven't had any luck. I have found defense rounds, nothing else. Once I come up with a shotgun and ammo I'll get in touch, thank you for the offer.

If you were closer I'd GLADLY drag you out and teach you all the bad habits I've picked up in a lifetime of hunting. ;)
Squirrel hunting is definitely a good thing to start on for a lot of reasons. You can hunt them with a .22 but if your only gun is a .223 yeah, that's a no go. Yotes 'might' be a bit frustrating for a beginner but a .223 is good medicine for them. Can't comment on hogs, that is something I've unfortunately never done but it's on my (thankfully now very short) list! :) You can only use rimfire on too many public lands for hogs but some allow centerfire during deer seasons. I don't "think" any disallow archery anytime they are open for hogs.
Take your safety course and get your license! :cool:

Hogs are tough but a 223 can take care of them! Heck, this litttle boy killed one with a .22 mag.

If you were closer I'd GLADLY drag you out and teach you all the bad habits I've picked up in a lifetime of hunting. ;)
Squirrel hunting is definitely a good thing to start on for a lot of reasons. You can hunt them with a .22 but if your only gun is a .223 yeah, that's a no go. Yotes 'might' be a bit frustrating for a beginner but a .223 is good medicine for them. Can't comment on hogs, that is something I've unfortunately never done but it's on my (thankfully now very short) list! :) You can only use rimfire on too many public lands for hogs but some allow centerfire during deer seasons. I don't "think" any disallow archery anytime they are open for hogs.
Take your safety course and get your license! :cool:

Thanks, I'll look for a safety class. I have a .22 break barrel 1000 fps grizzly air rifle from walmart and a .22 conversion for my M4. I also have a US Survival AR-7

I work in Monroe if that's closer to ya? I don't mind driving for an education, some things are priceless, knowledge is one

Back
Top Bottom