• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

New to the prepping game

Like so many other Americans...2020 has opened my eyes to how soft my view of the world had become. I had a single handgun...I kept it loaded by my bedside...but never shot it, never trained with it...never worried about the fragile state of our country.

I watched shows like "Doomsday Preppers" and thought to myself, "these people are crazy...that s*** can't/won't happen, what a waste of time/money"

My eyes have now been opened and I will not go back into the dark. I've added a few select rifles and shotguns to my arsenal. I continue to buy ammo when I see a deal. I'm hitting the shooting range weekly and also will be attending my first tactical class in a few weeks. Yesterday I decided it was time to clean out a large secondary closet and it will now start to house emergency supplies. I've started with some canned foods, a case of water, emergency matches, tarps, camping equipment, tools and all of my various ammo, etc...basically things we had around the house I never centralized.

I can't go out today and spend thousands of dollars all at once...but want to weekly work on what I'm calling my "peace of mind" room.

If you were just starting out and had to do a "slow build" of your supplies...how would you go about it? My thought is to buy that extra case of water each time I go to the store (much like I've already started doing with ammo). I'm trying to figure out the best foods that I can buy that will last a long time and also the best system for rotating them out and actually eating the stuff prior to expiration.

Thoughts and recommendations on material to read or ideas from personal experience are welcome.
Pew, I don't know what part of Ga you're in. If it's inside 285, pity you. Think light, you can't run but with a canteen, long gun, pistol & ammo. Maybe couple candy bars. If you can get your butt somewhere out in the country. It's not time to run & hide. It's time to stand up and forget civility. You saw Portland. It's gonna be that times a million.

Pew, I don't know what part of Ga you're in. If it's inside 285, pity you. Think light, you can't run but with a canteen, long gun, pistol & ammo. Maybe couple candy bars. If you can get your butt somewhere out in the country. It's not time to run & hide. It's time to stand up and forget civility. You saw Portland. It's gonna be that times a million.

I'm outside the perimeter and I agree 100%

Curious as to how many of y’all use “real” food versus MRE/Freedom Bucket style...
Use canned goods, bottled water. Rotate/replace them as we eat them.
Don’t need anything with a twenty-five year shelf life, as neither of us has one.
Anyway, running out of meds, not food/water will be a lot of older people’s long term issue. When the looting starts, take your list (and weapon) to the pharmacy and fight it out with the druggies. Hopefully when you ‘splains to them your needs, they’ll leave you alone.

Back
Top Bottom