• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New to the prepping game

PewPewChris

Default rank <2000 posts
SpaceWrangler
2   0
Reaction score
Like so many other Americans...2020 has opened my eyes to how soft my view of the world had become. I had a single handgun...I kept it loaded by my bedside...but never shot it, never trained with it...never worried about the fragile state of our country.

I watched shows like "Doomsday Preppers" and thought to myself, "these people are crazy...that s*** can't/won't happen, what a waste of time/money"

My eyes have now been opened and I will not go back into the dark. I've added a few select rifles and shotguns to my arsenal. I continue to buy ammo when I see a deal. I'm hitting the shooting range weekly and also will be attending my first tactical class in a few weeks. Yesterday I decided it was time to clean out a large secondary closet and it will now start to house emergency supplies. I've started with some canned foods, a case of water, emergency matches, tarps, camping equipment, tools and all of my various ammo, etc...basically things we had around the house I never centralized.

I can't go out today and spend thousands of dollars all at once...but want to weekly work on what I'm calling my "peace of mind" room.

If you were just starting out and had to do a "slow build" of your supplies...how would you go about it? My thought is to buy that extra case of water each time I go to the store (much like I've already started doing with ammo). I'm trying to figure out the best foods that I can buy that will last a long time and also the best system for rotating them out and actually eating the stuff prior to expiration.

Thoughts and recommendations on material to read or ideas from personal experience are welcome.

16e041ce5c0f1589990151-Screen-Shot-2020-05-20-at-10.55.31-AM.png
Prepping for you or anyone else will be a little crazy in the beginning, but don't stop preparing. ODT, has allot of good people who will direct you in the path of Prepping. Don't forget that many of the little can be purchased at Dollar Stores, and Wal-Mart, and many times ODT member's post good Prep Stuff. Good luck

My first thought is preparation to shelter in place as I don’t have a location to “bug out”. I worry about food, water and shelter currently...not running away from a threat...is that not the way to think?
Not leaving my place until it starts burning or I’m dead. If I’m dead buried on my land cause it’s paid for.

I would highly recommend this book to start. It details a yearlong systematic approach to being “prepared”.
I used to prepare to bug out but recently changed my thought process more towards staying in place. I say recently but that decision was made about 4 years ago. No longer travel for work. All of my priorities are at home with my wife and two kids. Not 100% sure they could buyout with any kind of speed and stealth so why bother. Check out TruPrep. They re great guys which is if you’re in Kennesaw I’m sure you’ve been there before..shoot me a Pm if you have any other q’s.

Attachments

• 76EA453F-554F-4EF5-8BDE-BEF47D61BF99.jpeg
    76EA453F-554F-4EF5-8BDE-BEF47D61BF99.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 49
  • A54260B1-85B5-4FAB-AB65-4BAD4C76FA1C.jpeg
    A54260B1-85B5-4FAB-AB65-4BAD4C76FA1C.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 41
Watch for a deal on Life straw water filters, both the individual personal ones and the larger one for group size needs. Go to Harbor freight and pick up a tarp, magnesium fire starters. Get some contractor grade trash bags, duct tape, several pairs of gloves. Dollar tree for emergency candles. Paracord, rope, Bic lighters, Zip Lok bags are other basic stuff to look for. Watch for this stuff to go on sale, don't try to buy it all at once. Once you have started prepping, you are already three steps ahead of those that have not started. Feel free to PM me if you have other questions. I have been doing this a long time and would be happy to help.

Back
Top Bottom