• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New to reloading, hep, hep me peez

Ole Murph

Default rank <1500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
135   0
Reaction score
I have used my dads old RCBS press a few times and it worked great. Slow but great. I am looking to buy my own setup and I wanted some feedback. I like the look of the RCBS progressive press. Seems a lot easier. My dad uses the old type scale. I was curious if the digital ones work just as well. I am going to buy a set of 308 dies and load some more ammo using his press before I buy my own. Also do all dies work in all presses? Any help would be appreciated! Take care ODT'ers!

Yes, most all brands of dies will work, 7/8" x 14. I have both types of scales, haven't touched the balance scale in years tho, I use the RCBS chargemaster combo now. IMO digital is the way to go!

I agree digital is way better. Just do your homework and find what works best for you. Their are used presses everywhere that people had to have and paid a chunk for just to decide they really didn't like reloading. Reloading for me is a hobby not a race to load the most rounds. Be safe and enjoy.

Yes, and you will find the answers here consistent with the other answers to the scores of "I'm new to reloading and need help" postings that we get here
each and every month ...

FIRST: Read the sticky at the top of this forum.
SECOND: Get and read at least two reloading manuals (Lyman's 49th Edition and The ABC's of Reloading are both good).
THIRD: Scan this forum and read previous posts like you just made ... they will give you a good and consistent set of answers to
many of the questions you might still have.

Good Luck and Happy Learning!

I have used my dads old RCBS press a few times and it worked great. Slow but great. I am looking to buy my own setup and I wanted some feedback. I like the look of the RCBS progressive press. Seems a lot easier. My dad uses the old type scale. I was curious if the digital ones work just as well. I am going to buy a set of 308 dies and load some more ammo using his press before I buy my own. Also do all dies work in all presses? Any help would be appreciated! Take care ODT'ers!

If you are looking for precision/match loads, stick with the single stage press. Slow and methodical makes for good consistent loads. However, if your are wanting to mass produce ammo, get a progressive (the Dillon 550 is a good choice).

As for digital or balance scales, I have used both and I prefer old school (I have been burned by the inaccuracy of cheap digital scales). Always use the same scales for all your loads. Scale accuracy can change from scale to scale - 24.5gr on one scale might be 24.7 on another.

Most all dies are 7/8" and will work in the majority of presses. However, some presses use proprietary dies, the Dillon Square Deal for example.

Enjoy and always be safe!

Be careful with digital. I am kinda old school I guess...I always double check my digital with the old beam type scale. Guess it could be matter of opinion but I trust my old school beam/balance over anything. Good luck in your venture.

Tiny

Back
Top Bottom