• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

New to deer hunting

Have you never hunted anything before? I really wish people wouldn't START with deer, but I get it. You will learn valuable skills and woodsmanship with small game hunting and can also start to learn about deer habits and habitat simultaneously. Many public land areas are open for small game when they are not open for deer. Conversely many hunt clubs do not allow small game hunting during deer season (or in some cases at all). Point being you'll have a lot more and easier access pursuing small game on public land and in some cases private as some landowners don't mind you shooting squirrels, rabbits coyotes etc, with shotguns or rimfire but don't won't people on their land with "high powered deer sniper rifles that kill from 10 miles".
Many hunters will be happy to talk hunting with you and mentor you, but just know going in, if you ask 10 hunters the 'best way' to approach any particular situation, you will get 20 different answers.
PM me. We're close. Happy to meet and chat.
And congrats on escaping Kali. Sister recently did and couldn't be happier.

I started actively hunting with deer but I have shot numerous creatures on the farm with rim fire rifles, lots of coyotes, raccoons, fox, groundhogs, possums but only to get rid of nuisance animals around the farm but never considered that hunting .
The good thing about deer is that the target is bigger.

I started actively hunting with deer but I have shot numerous creatures on the farm with rim fire rifles, lots of coyotes, raccoons, fox, groundhogs, possums but only to get rid of nuisance animals around the farm but never considered that hunting .
I'm not saying it can't be done. Sadly, I suspect a very large percentage of deer hunters today have never actively hunted any other game. There is a lot to learn AND enjoy in other pursuits. I didn't get to go deer hunt growing up until I was 12. But before that, I can't imagine the literally thousands of hours I had spent chasing other critters. Wouldn't' trade those memories for the world.

I'm not saying it can't be done. Sadly, I suspect a very large percentage of deer hunters today have never actively hunted any other game. There is a lot to learn AND enjoy in other pursuits. I didn't get to go deer hunt growing up until I was 12. But before that, I can't imagine the literally thousands of hours I had spent chasing other critters. Wouldn't' trade those memories for the world.
Yeah I actively started deer hunting in my early 20’s.
Didn’t know a thing and just got out there and learned.
I did read a lot in the early years and still like to.
I could probably write a book myself.
I’ve been keeping a hunt journal the past several years of my hunt stories to pass down to my Grandkids or whomever gives a crap.

Here is some information on our club. 532 acres in Wilkes County between Washington and Tignall. We have deer, turkeys and HOGS. Also a duck pond.Dues are different depending on whether you bring a camper or not. $600 without and 650 with. Camp is in a different location since we are not allowed to have a fire or camp on the property. Membership rund from May 1st thru April 31st. Number is 678-778-8862 Ed

And prepared correctly, one hell of a lot Tastier!

I need some advice. I want to know the best way to learn to deer hunt and my best options for hunting on public land.
It may be too late this year but I would call and ask if they have any room left. Georgia DNR organizes courses for youths and adult hunters. My kids have done many of them and they are very well organized. I assume the ones for grown up are excellent as well.

https://georgiawildlife.com/LearntoHuntFish

The only suggestions I can give you for hunting on public land is wear lots of orange and expect other hunters to wander through your area unless you make the effort to get in the woods farther/more out of the way than everybody else.
I have to be honest, this is not my experience. We are members of a club, however my sons and I have been hunting public lands (both the national forest and WMA's) for years and we are going to continue to do so (today my oldest son and I were at the Oconee WMA, since our club is bucks only for another couple of weeks). We have NEVER had any problem with other hunters, actually we seldom meet any hunter other than for quota hunts. The few times we have met somebody it was alway a non issue. When we think that somebody may come close to us, usually we leave an orange vest on the path and, again, we have never had any issue. My experience is that most of the people that go to WMA's are very respectful of the place they have the opportunity to hunt and of other hunters. Plus WMA's offer a lot of opportunities.
Quota hunts may be an exception, I think people tend to be a little too "motivated".

Great info!

It may be too late this year but I would call and ask if they have any room left. Georgia DNR organizes courses for youths and adult hunters. My kids have done many of them and they are very well organized. I assume the ones for grown up are excellent as well.

https://georgiawildlife.com/LearntoHuntFish

I have to be honest, this is not my experience. We are members of a club, however my sons and I have been hunting public lands (both the national forest and WMA's) for years and we are going to continue to do so (today my oldest son and I were at the Oconee WMA, since our club is bucks only for another couple of weeks). We have NEVER had any problem with other hunters, actually we seldom meet any hunter other than for quota hunts. The few times we have met somebody it was alway a non issue. When we think that somebody may come close to us, usually we leave an orange vest on the path and, again, we have never had any issue. My experience is that most of the people that go to WMA's are very respectful of the place they have the opportunity to hunt and of other hunters. Plus WMA's offer a lot of opportunities.
Quota hunts may be an exception, I think people tend to be a little too "motivated".

Still looking for new members?

Here is some information on our club. 532 acres in Wilkes County between Washington and Tignall. We have deer, turkeys and HOGS. Also a duck pond.Dues are different depending on whether you bring a camper or not. $600 without and 650 with. Camp is in a different location since we are not allowed to have a fire or camp on the property. Membership rund from May 1st thru April 31st. Number is 678-778-8862 Ed

New hunter but experienced shooter and I’ll echo previous post - are you still looking for members?

Back
Top Bottom