• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New to deer hunting

Jeremy G

Default rank <50 posts
Hunter
6   0
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for answering any questions and for any advice. 1st off I have recently moved from California to GA. Before you have any pre conceived thoughts, I have always wanted to move out of that crazy lib state but all of my friends and family were there so it wasn't easy t convince the wife. My dad was not a hunter he taught me to shoot at a young age but we never hunted. As I got older I found friends who took my duck and turkey hunting and I went on a couple hog hunts. Unfortunately deer tags were hard to get and when you did it was for a certain region and very limited. Land leases were close to 8k a year so it was always out of reach for me. I need some advice. I want to know the best way to learn to deer hunt and my best options for hunting on public land. If anyone out there knows a good camp or somewhere to learn how to hunt and not harvest s deer I would be interested in that too. Again thank you for any advice. I am happy my local range pointed me in this direction and I am happy to be part of the ODT community

It’s a little late in the year, but your best bet is to join a hunting lease. Try to find one that a friend or somebody you can trust is in so that you can get an idea of how the club is ran. The last thing you’d want to do is join a lease blindly and it be a bad environment full of drama. Believe me, hunting clubs can be a hassle. Joining as a member can range from a few hundred to a thousand + dollars. Location and member #’s will dictate the price.
You can learn a lot from the other members-most folks like helping new hunters along and seeing them be successful. Some don’t.
Otherwise, find a fellow hunter who has experience and tag along with them on public land.
The Ga DNR also hosts a Hunt and Learn type event where you learn about hunting and actually get to participate in the hunt yourself.
Download the GoOutdoorsGa app and look under quota hunts, or call Ga DNR Headwuarters and inquire further.

Try to make friends with folks, some of them might have access to private land and invite you along. That's in addition to the other suggestions. I would feel silly giving you too much advice because there are so many avid hunters on here and I am a relative novice. In my limited experience, most the work of deer hunting is done before the season starts and the actual hunting part might be mostly just sitting there and quietly paying attention.

If you're interested in a club I will have at least two openings in my Wilkes county club next year. Two hours from you and 532 acres with deer, hogs, turkey and small game. Also waterfowl.

If you're interested in a club I will have at least two openings in my Wilkes county club next year. Two hours from you and 532 acres with deer, hogs, turkey and small game. Also waterfowl.

I would definitely be interested

Would you be interested in joining my club now? Membership goes thru April. Attendance has been light and we only had 8 hunters on opening day.

Nice that your range pointed you here.
If you want to take advantage of the most hunting possible, get some archery equipment , and rifle.
You can hunt archery all season long .
Just remember some hunting is by using smarts but most of it is luck.
The more you’re out there the more you’ll learn....never too late to start.
Oh.....and congrats for getting the hell out of commiefornia.....hope
you enjoy your freedoms in this great state!

Thank you everyone for answering any questions and for any advice. 1st off I have recently moved from California to GA. Before you have any pre conceived thoughts, I have always wanted to move out of that crazy lib state but all of my friends and family were there so it wasn't easy t convince the wife. My dad was not a hunter he taught me to shoot at a young age but we never hunted. As I got older I found friends who took my duck and turkey hunting and I went on a couple hog hunts. Unfortunately deer tags were hard to get and when you did it was for a certain region and very limited. Land leases were close to 8k a year so it was always out of reach for me. I need some advice. I want to know the best way to learn to deer hunt and my best options for hunting on public land. If anyone out there knows a good camp or somewhere to learn how to hunt and not harvest s deer I would be interested in that too. Again thank you for any advice. I am happy my local range pointed me in this direction and I am happy to be part of the ODT community
Have you never hunted anything before? I really wish people wouldn't START with deer, but I get it. You will learn valuable skills and woodsmanship with small game hunting and can also start to learn about deer habits and habitat simultaneously. Many public land areas are open for small game when they are not open for deer. Conversely many hunt clubs do not allow small game hunting during deer season (or in some cases at all). Point being you'll have a lot more and easier access pursuing small game on public land and in some cases private as some landowners don't mind you shooting squirrels, rabbits coyotes etc, with shotguns or rimfire but don't won't people on their land with "high powered deer sniper rifles that kill from 10 miles".
Many hunters will be happy to talk hunting with you and mentor you, but just know going in, if you ask 10 hunters the 'best way' to approach any particular situation, you will get 20 different answers.
PM me. We're close. Happy to meet and chat.
And congrats on escaping Kali. Sister recently did and couldn't be happier.

Back
Top Bottom